LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
1 0 G R E AT S U R F I N G D E S T I N AT I O N S
A PA RT F R O M H AWA I I
C R E A T E D B Y H A N N A H C O R N E T T
• Surfing is an ancient
islanders and first
recorded by Europeans
in the 18th century.
• Hawaii is the center of
modern surf culture,
with Hawaiian George
Freeth being credited
as the “Father of
• And yes, while the waves of
Hawaii are undoubtedly an
excellent place for surfing,
why limit yourself to one set
• A recent article listed 10
great additional surfing
locations around the world
where surfers flock for the
most radical swells and
point breaks, here’s a
G O L D C O A S T, A U S T R A L I A
• Thanks to the 70 kilometers of beaches and four epic point breaks, the
Gold Coast of Queensland has earned its nickname “Surfer’s Paradise.”
• You can check out such spots as The Spit, Narrowneck, Mermaid Beach,
Palm Beach, Main Beach, Snapper Rocks Superbank, Kirra, Burleigh
Heads and South Stradbroke Island.
M E N TAWA I I S L A N D S , I N D O N E S I A
• Located off the western coast of Sumatra, the Mentawai Islands are one of the
world’s most consistent surf destinations.
• There are altogether four main islands noted for their perfect waves: Siberut,
Sipora, North and South Pagi, which you can access by way of ferry or charter boat.
• The best time to visit is between March and October, although the biggest swells
usually occur from June to September.
J E F F R E Y S B AY, S O U T H A F R I C A
• In the Eastern Cape of South Africa,
about an hour’s drive from Port
Elizabeth lies Jeffreys Bay, one of the
most famous surfing destinations in
• Especially great for the summer
months of June, July and August,
surfers come to ride such beaches as
Super Tubes, Boneyards, Magna
Tubes, Kitchen Windows, Albatross
• If you come out in July, you can catch
the annual Billabong Pro WCT surfing
F U E RT E V E N T U R A , S PA I N
• Part of the Canary Islands and latitudinally aligned with
Florida and Mexico, the temperatures here seldom fall
below 64 or rise above 75, making this an ideal surfing
E L S A LVA D O R
• While fairly new to the surfing game, the Pacific coast of El Salvador has
started to win the hearts of more and more surfers, thanks to such surf spots
as La Libertad, Sunzal and El Zonte.
• The main surf season, coinciding with the rainy season, is from March to
October, when south swells can reach up to 10 feet.
C O S TA R I C A
• Due to consistent waves year-
round, Costa Rica is a popular
surfing location for the most
hardcore and dedicated
• Both coastlines produce great
waves, with the major swell
season from April until
• If you’re looking for a specific
spot, try Potrero Grande or
C A L I F O R N I A
• Thanks to the Beach Boys,
California is synonymous with
surfing, and for good reason.
• There’s something for everybody;
big wave hunters can head to such
places as the mountains of
Maverick’s during the huge winter
swells, while people who aren’t into
bigger waves can go anywhere
between Santa Cruz and Half
• Just keep in mind that the water is
cold almost year-round, and if
you’re a novice that’s easily
intimidated, that most spots will be
crowded with very good surfers.
B A L I , I N D O N E S I A
• A few of the legendary surf
spots in Bali include the area
around Bukit Peninsular,
Dreamland, Kuta, Padang
Padang and Uluwatu.
• With the swells coming from the
Southern Ocean, Bali
consistently sees waves up to 12
feet high in the peak swell
season (April to November).
• The only problem is that Bali’s
beaches tend to be pretty
crowded, and you could get
hassled a lot.
S A N TA C ATA R I N A , B R A Z I L
• Due to its plethora of beach resorts, this region in southern Brazil is one of the country’s
• It’s blessed with the best that Brazil has to offer, including a huge variety of waves and
• Some spots worth checking out include Mocambique, Joaquina Beach, Santinho, Praia
Mole, Lagoinha do Leste and Campeche.
S A M O A
• Thanks to its warm waters
and consistently high-
quality waves, Samoa is one
of the world’s best surfing
destinations, with plenty of
swell year-round from pretty
much every direction.
• Some of the best surf spots
Salamumu and Tiavea,
A’ufaga Village, Salani,
Coconuts, Solosolo, Laulii
and Fagaloa Bay.
# 1 0