44. Any fully open WIKI is vulnerable – here the Atlassian WIKI for Confluence users has some inappropriate material added to the wiki
45. Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair 's entry was edited to state that his middle name was "Whoop-de-do", while the article page of John Seigenthaler , a renowned American journalist, was edited to suggest that he had been involved in the assassination of US President John F Kennedy . And in 2007, Ryan Jordan , one of Wikipedia's most prolific editors who had amended more than 20,000 articles, was found to be a 24-year-old college dropout rather than the professor of theology he had claimed to be. Wikipedia has more than three million English language articles, covering everything from episode guides for the television series Lost to accounts of important historical events. It is one of the most popular websites on the internet, used by around 65 million people each month. Wikipedia had to tighten up in 2009
52. Citizendium http:// en.citizendium.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Citizendium Started by wikipedia founder Larry Sanger who became disenchanted with it Here have to give real name and biography to edit entries but public can participate alongside experts Editor control on who participates and editors mark articles “approved” Slow growth 12,305 articles progressing toward editor approval or re-approval
57. In the wikipedia tradition but… Specialist and narrow subject area Introduced a custom graphical editing tool Use PathVisio which provides basic palette of objects and annotations needed to represent biological processes. Integrated various databases into the application key point is the level of sophistication that can be built into a wiki approach….
58. Wikitravel One of Time magazines top 50 websites in 2008 Same Mediawiki software as wikipedia and many other examples use Anybody can edit the entries Narrow focus on travel guides http:// wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page
70. WIKIS and academic research example WikiProteins Over one million Knowlets of biomedical concepts are present, selected from authorities such as the Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) , UniProtKB /Swiss-Prot , IntAct and the Gene Ontology (GO) . By adding information to concepts in WikiProfessional, scientists expand an evolving knowledge base with facts, relations, associations and conceptual information. http://proteins.wikiprofessional.org/
71. Open Notebooks – UsefulChem Project running at Drexel University http:// usefulchem.wikispaces.com /
Here have to give real name and biography to edit entries. Editor control = slow growth but up to 8,100 articles and claim to be gaining.
To do with biological information, also quite a new launch. Interesting article in some depth as to how this wiki model will make it easier to cope with the deluge of biological data by placing all the processes required to curate the data into one interface, rather than the current system where the various stages of the process are in silos of authoring and editing quite separate
Specialised database integration, added in graphical editor, can download to a local software package. Whole level of scientific complexity been introduced in there to the wiki concept.
Million knowlets link the protein information together, very high end academic resource interesting popups and linkages, launched May 2008