Demonstration method, Special functions of Demonstration, Advantages of demonstration, Limitations of demonstration, Requisites of good demonstration, Planning a demonstration, Criteria for a good demonstration,
5. 4. To supply an application. (Day-to-
5. To show methods and techniques.
6. To display objects and techniques.
(Computers and its various parts
6. Advantages of
This method is desirable
1. When the apparatus to be used is costly
and unsuitable for juniors to handle.
2. When the apparatus is very sensitive and
may be damaged by clumsy handling.
7. 3. When the experiment involves
danger. (Power supply, UPS, etc.)
4. When economy, is desired in the
matter of procuring large sets of
apparatus of the same kind.(CD
drive, CD Writer, etc.)
5. When a quick revision of the subject
matter is desired.
9. 2. There are no opportunities for pupil’s
participation during demonstration.
It is thus teacher-centred method of
3. Much scientific information can be
grasped adequately by sight and
4. A demonstration is apt to go such a
rapid rate that pupils do not grasp
10. Requisites of good
The success of a demonstration
depends upon a number of factors,
which must be provided before the
demonstration work is carried out.
1. A good lecture-cum-demonstration
room is essential in which
demonstration table is visible to all the
11. 2. Lighting must be sufficient.
3. If possible the pupil’s benches
may be arranged in tiers.
4. The apparatus used for
demonstration should be large in
12. 5. There should be enough spare
apparatus in case one apparatus
fails to work or breaks.
6. A big blackboard behind the
demonstration bench is desirable
in order to summarise the results
of the experiment and to draw
necessary sketches and diagrams.
13. 8. The teacher must repeat the experiment
even though it is simple.
9. The teacher can also think of using
audio-visual experiments (aids) along
with the apparatus.
10. Time should be given on the major
point in the demonstration and
preferably written on the black board.
14. Planning a demonstration or
criteria for a good demonstration
For successful demonstration it is
better if the teacher bears in mind
the following points.
The teacher must be convinced that
demonstration technique is the best
way to deal with a certain topic.
15. The purpose of demonstration should be
made clear to the pupils.
The awareness of objective of
demonstration makes it more meaningful
for the pupils.
Otherwise they may see things but may
not understand the meanings in them.
16. The purpose of demonstration should be
told in advance.
They should observe things carefully,
exercise their reasoning and arrive at
their own conclusions.
The demonstration should be visible to
Attention should be paid to the position
of students, the size of apparatus and
also lighting of the classroom.
17. The experiments should be well spaced
throughout the lesson.
There should not be any separate time
allotted for demonstration.
Only the simplest form of the apparatus
should be used.
There should be variety in
18. New experiments other than those
prescribed in the textbook should be
An element of suspense is to be
introduced during demonstration.
When each item is required it is to be
taken from the cupboard.
The blackboard should be used
properly during demonstration.
19. When each item is required it is to be
taken from the cupboard.
There should be pupil participation in
Connecting the apparatus, inputting the
data, getting the output can be done by
Many demonstrations / experiments
should not done at the same time.
20. Each demonstration should be done at
the right time.
Demonstration should not be too long.
An experiment, which lasts for a long
time, will not sustain the interest of the
The teacher must have the attention of
21. Demonstration should be supplemented
with other teaching aids to make it more
real and interesting.
Demonstration method is the least
expensive of utilizing laboratory
But they cannot be substituted for
individual practical work.
22. Practical work involves problem solving
and results in new learning.
It can be open-ended and can lead to
In spite of the disadvantages,
demonstration method is advocated
when time and equipment are limited
and the process is complicated or
dangerous or difficult.
23. Demonstration starts with an
exclamation mark where as experimental
technique starts with a question mark.
Demonstration is useful to show
something science content oriented while
experimental method stresses on process
24. The method can be used in
combination with other method of
teaching quite frequently in our
school conditions to get maximum
The computer science teacher
should create a dynamic functional
relationship between demonstration
and the laboratory work.
25. Often the demonstration will initiate
the student’s individual experiments.
Similarly the results of the
laboratory study may culminate in a