1. Warning: This TalkContains Actual TacticsKISSinsights Case StudyCindy AlvarezWeb 2.0 Expo • May 3, 2010
2. Where Do I Start?• Get a Hypothesis (and write it down)• 2-Pronged Validation• Figure Out What You Want to Learn• Iterate on Your Interview• Just Build It• What will it take for someone to pay you $?
3. Get A HypothesisMy hypothesis is that____________ people have aproblem doing ____________.
4. Hypothesis for KISSinsightsMy hypothesis is that productmanager type people have aproblem doing fast/effective/frequent customer research.
5. The 2 Big QuestionsIs this a Where exactly isrecognizable, the pain?interesting pain?
6. 2-Pronged Validationsplash page “so, tell me about how you do _____...” BUY NOW survey
7. Interviews Are Features, Too PLANASSESS DO
8. What Should You Be Learning?• What are they doing now? (This is YOUR COMPETITION.)• What are other tools leaving on the table?• Who is involved?• How frequent / severe is the pain?• Whatever else your customer thinks is IMPORTANT enough to COMPLAIN about
9. The customer is theexpert, you’re just anotetaker.
10. “If you could wave a magic wand, what would you be able to do?”
11. Iterating on the Interview• What was interesting / surprising?• Kill the yes/no questions• Don’t agree with the customer• Silence is good• Validate or contradict
12. Learnings That Became KISSinsights• What are they doing now? Mostly going without customer research.• What are other tools leaving on the table? Privacy, targeting controls.• Who is involved? Product manager, reluctant developer.• How frequent / severe is the pain? Constant - “whenever we make decisions on what to build”• IMPORTANT enough to COMPLAIN? Hate writing, don’t know where to start, hate having to ask developer to change site
13. The Numbers• ~20 interviews (15-20 minute phone calls)• 3 scrappy user tests (15-20 minute face-to-face with paper prototypes)• 2 splash pages (Facebook Ads, StumbleUpon traffic)• Hacky MVP on KISSmetrics.com• 8 “alpha testers”
14. Just Build It“It’s a very ‘M’ MVP.” - Cindy Alvarez, to Hiten Shah
15. Internal MVP: 2 days Public MVP: 2 months1400+ signups (so far)
16. What Does It Take to Get Paid?Interest Installation Gratification Value Pay
17. Thank You!http://www.cindyalvarez.com/best-practices/customer-development-interviews-how-to-finding-peoplehttp://www.cindyalvarez.com/communication/customer-development-interviews-how-to-what-you-should-be-learninghttp://blog.meatinthesky.com/the-evolution-of-the-customer-development-inthttp://blogs.hbr.org/tjan/2010/01/the-threeminute-rule.htmlhttp://www.cindyalvarez.com/best-practices/quantitative-vs-qualitative@KISSmetrics @cindyalvarez