LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
PRUNTELI WETLAND – THE OBJECTIVES AND BACKGROUND
• The objectives are to
Create habitats for wetland fauna, in particular for waterfowl
Promote biodiversity, landscape and multifunctional land use
Act as demonstrative site of wetland work in the region
– The Prunteli wetland is located 25 km from the center of Rovaniemi downstream of the
River Kemijoki, on the east side of the river.
– Petäjäskoski Hydroelectric Power Plants (built in 1953-1957 by a state-run Kemijoki Ltd)
is located 13,5 km downstream and Valajaskoski Power Station (built in 1957-1960) 9
– The once flowing water was blocked and a reservoir was formed former fields began to
be hydrated or covered by the reservoir´s higher water level
– During decades former fields turned into swamp-like ecosystems
– Kemijoki Ltd has an obligation to compensate the environmental impacts of hydropower.
Implementing Prunteli wetland project, started in 2011 in collaboration with Life+
Return of Rural wetlands, was such a new approach.
– The collaboration with local people and hunting clubs was important and started in the
beginning of the wetland project.
– There are no water control structures in the Prunteli wetland because it is part of the
River Kemijoki: water level in wetland varies according to the variation of river and due
to the controllability in Petäjäskoski and Valajaskoski Hydroelectric Power Plants. Daily
changes of water level in Kemijoki in Prunteli area are between 10-30 cm.
THE ACTIONS AND COSTS OF THE CREATION
AND MANAGEMENT OF THE PRUNTELI WETLAND
• Total area 2,9 hectares, of which open water area 1,4 ha, medium depth about 0,4 m
• Total costs of the re-creation 10 300 € (incl. VAT 23 %):
– Excavator works 8 700 €: excavation of channels, construction of the articifial islands, excavation
of 400 m new ditch and landscaping. Of the excavator works Life+ Return of Rural Wetlands
accounted 25 % (2 160 €) and Kemijoki Ltd 75 %.
– Wetland planning and field working 1 600 €. Life+ Return of Rural Wetlands accounted 100 %
• Excavator works conducted by Excavating Contractor Otto Veikanmaa Tmi 19.4.-3.5.2012
• Wetland planning Juha Siekkinen Life+ Return of Rural wetlands in collaboration with
fisheries technician Jyrki Autti Kemijoki Ltd and representatives of local hunting clubs.
• Wetland management: Muurolan Erämiehet ry. (local hunting club) and Valajaskosken
metsästys- ja kalastusseura ry (local hunting and fishing club).
• Waterfowl hunting is possible in Prunteli wetland and it is coordinated by previously
mentioned local hunting clubs. Waterfowl censuses are the basic tool for determination
of sustainable hunting levels.
• Waterfowl censusing in environmental monitoring
– waterfowl point counts 4 times/year: 2 counts in late spring, 1 brood count in July and 1 late
summer count in the beginning of August (before the beginning of hunting season)
– conducted by the local experienced observer Reijo Saari
EXCAVATOR WOKRS IN PRUNTELI 19.4.-3.5.2012
• Excavation works should be done during winter period, because area was very wet and turf layer
was more than 2 m thick.
• Excavation work started 19.4.2012 though ground was not frozen. The excavator machine (total
weight 23 tons) was able to operate because the machine was carried by 40-50 cm thick snow cover.
Otto Veikanmaa Sodankylästä teki Pruntelin
Kuvat Juha Siekkinen 19.4.2012
• Vegetation succession was rapid: after the
two summer artificial islands and
embankments were covered with natural
Photos: Juha Siekkinen 23.4.2012 (up)
• In a riparian zone, the area where
moist soils and plants exist next to
a body of water, shoreline
vegetation has been effectively
reestablished after two summer
Photos: Juha Siekkinen 23.4.2012 (up)
Hunting is possible in Prunteli
wetland. The non-native predator
control is one the most important
management means to take care of
Kuvat: Juha Siekkinen 2.9.2013
Prunteli wetland area welcomes public for recreation
and visiting. Infoboard near wetland gives
information about Prunteli wetland creation project
and Life+ Return of Rural Wetlands –project.
Photo below: Wetland Day of Nordic Countries
Photos: Juha Siekkinen 2.9.2013