DevOps is NOT the Goal
• Sort of got lost in Agile
• “We’re all going Agile”
Why Are You Looking at DevOps?
• Shorter Time-to-Market for new features
• Faster remediation of bugs
• Faster response to customer needs and issues
• Reduce outages
• Set measureable improvements
You need to be measuring things at the beginning, too. Are you?
• Support experimentation
You don’t know yet what’s going to lead to the best improvements
• Publish your goals and broadcast your improvements
• Take work away from teams learning new procedures
• Over-burdening teams learning DevOps will not create success
• Never completing a single DevOps conversion will not create success
• Changing course over and over for whatever reason will not create
• Some tasks won’t have “best” practices
Many will have better practices that you should try
• None of this happens overnight
What Are Your Teams Already Doing?
• Are you using change control for everything that affects production?
• Is your source code viewable by everyone in the organization?
Multiple apps working in same tech stack benefit from shared knowledge
• Are you Automating?
• Are you sharing outcomes, metrics, data?
• Have you gotten caught up in shiny things that haven’t helped your
Technology is to Help You
“We are able to focus on the small things that usually fall through the
cracks, rather than on only the basics of the job. So many of the routine
tasks are just taken care of for us. Seeing other offices that choose to do
things differently and not embrace having the product do the “heavy lifting”
are beyond my understanding. In particular, the extensive reporting in the
product is so helpful for seeing how business is doing and what needs
If a tool is making work harder, and your teams are
working around it, change the tool.
Automation is Not Scary
• Applications might need some refactoring if they weren’t built to be used
• Scale requires automation
• Bad architectural decisions can hold you back
These are bits, not bricks
Culture Change is Hard
Permanent change isn’t built with contractors
Increasing Number of Resources
• Building blameless cultures
• Building cultures with open communication
• Building cultures with shared responsibility
• Contractor culture
No responsibility, no long-term strategy, no investment
• Burdened by cuts during recession
• Prioritize, do not dump more tasks on them and expect success
Should I build a DevOps team?
• Yes and No
• Yes: as a short-term solution to help with prioritization and resources
• NO: as a long-term reassignment of operations task to another layer of
Making Space in the Day
• Stop everyone doing low-value work
• Is this work helping us reach our goal?
• Is anyone using the outputs of this work?
• Can it be automated?
• Is it as important as something else?
• Will the world burn if we don’t do it as often?
Rewards and Celebration
• Give people a venue for pride
• Internal talks and showcases
• Internal DevOps Days
• Invite speakers
• Send people to events
• Have a budget for parties or swag
• It’s easy to get frustrated
• Corporate cultures that favor short-term results make long-term
• Re-orgs, new executives, other changes will get in the way
• Have an elevator pitch for what your initiative is doing right when the
We are steadily improving the time to market in our consumer products by
embracing agile development practices, proactive metrics and monitoring
collection, automation, and rapid releases.
Attack the Mountain One Step at a Time
• Your organization has a lot of applications
• Built by a number of teams and maybe external vendors
• You need to get a good first-pass process the whole way from idea to
production release on one of these applications before setting everyone
• Iterate when you’ve learned a lesson
• Remember the three areas: Tools, People, Culture
• Lots more information, practices, use cases available now than there
were two or three years ago
• Set your goals and measure your improvements.
We are Chef
• Visit our booth to talk about Chef, system automation, continuous
delivery, improving IT velocity, hugs, and stickers
Notas del editor
If you’re struggling to just keep the lights on, taking on a big new initiative is going to be tough. Look for tools that help you really get improvement
You don’t have to rehire the whole team. You will have to retrain a number of people. You will have to give them time to learn stuff. The sysadmin who’s been at your company for 25 years didn’t learn everything overnight 25 years ago, and you can’t expect that this time around either.
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.