LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
GREEN INTERNET OF THINGS
FOR SMART WORLD
Y. Mani Kiran Kumar
Smart world is envisioned as an era in which objects
(e.g., watches, mobile phones, computers, cars,
buses, and trains) can automatically and intelligently
serve people in a collaborative manner. Paving the
way for smart world, Internet of Things (IoT)
connects everything in the smartworld. Radio
Frequency Identification techniques (RFID) and
related identification technologies will be the
cornerstone of related identification technologies
will be the cornerstone of the upcoming Internet of
• Sensor cloud towards green IOT
• Future for Internet of Things
• Internet of thing is that things can communicate to each other
without human. The things communicate directly between each
other can save the communication energy with user.
• With the rapid development of science and technology, the world is
becoming ``smart''. Living in such a smart world people will be
automatically and collaboratively served by the smart devices (e.g.,
watches, mobile phones, computers), smart transportation (e.g., cars,
buses, trains), smart environments (e.g., homes, offices, factories).
• Internet of things targets to connect various objects (e.g., mobile
phones, computers, cars, appliances) with unique addresses, to
enable them interacting with each other and with the world. Further,
green IoT targets at a sustainable smart world, by reducing the
energy consumption of IoT.
• All devices in the smart world are supposed to be
equipped with additional sensory and communication
add-ons so that they can sense the world and
communicate with each other, they will require more
• The energy efficient procedures (hardware or
software)adopted by IoT either to facilitate reducing
the greenhouse effect of existing applications and
services or to reduce the impact of greenhouse effect
of IoT itself.
• Smart home
• Industrial Automation
• Smart Health-care
• Smart grid
• Smart city
• Identification Technologies
• Cloud Platform
• Network Technologies
• Software and Algorithms
• Data and Signal Processing Technologies
• Power and Energy Storage Technologies
• Convergence and interoperability of technologies for
identification and authentication that can operate at a
• It includes the management of unique identities for
physical objects and devices, and handling of
multiple identifiers for people and locations and
possible cross - referencing among different
identifiers for the same entity and with associated
• Increasingly used for processing of the huge volume
of data that can be generated by IOT and consumed
• Resource virtualization and on demand assignment to
promote efficiency in utilization.
• Different Business models(e.g., pay per use, dynamic
pricing) encourage more efficient behavior and life-
• Wireless network technologies have gained more
focus due to their ability to provide unobtrusive wire-
• wireless sensor networks promise low power, low
cost object monitoring and networking, constituting a
fundamental technology for the evolution constituting
a fundamental technology for the evolution towards a
truly embedded and autonomous Internet of Things.
Software and Algorithms
• Only with appropriate software will it be possible that
the Internet of Things comes to life as imagined, as an
integral part of the Future Internet.
• It is through software that novel applications and
interactions are realized, and that the network with all
its resources, devices and distributed services
Data and signal Processing Technology
• By 2020, trillions of networked sensors will be
deployed around the planet, in the spaces we inhabit,
the systems we use, the devices we carry, and inside our
• Sensors are a key enabling technology; with detection,
measurement, computation, and communication, they
can make passive systems active.
• Sensors will be used to measure everything from
acceleration and location to temperature, energy use,
soil chemistry air pollution and health conditions
chemistry, air pollution, and health conditions.
Power and Energy Storage Technology
• Energy storage has become one of the most important
obstacles to the miniaturization of electronic devices,
and today’s embedded wireless technologies such as
Wireless Sensor Networks and Active RFID.
• Energy harvesting is still a very inefficient process
that would require a large amount of research.
• Sources for energy harvesting in embedded devices
could include, among others, vibration, solar
radiation, thermal energy, etc.
Sensor cloud towards green IOT
• sensor-cloud is ``an infrastructure that allows truly
pervasive computation using sensors as an interface
between physical and cyber worlds, the data-compute
clusters as the cyber backbone and the internet as the
• sensor-cloud is ``a unique sensor data storage,
visualization and remote management platform that
leverages powerful cloud computing technologies to
provide excellent data scalability, rapid visualization,
and user programmable analysis'‘.
Future for Internet of Things
• Internet of things in 2020
• Wider technological trends of energy
• Outlook to the future
• Ongoing research
• Intensified research
Internet of Things in 2020
• It is therefore expected that the Internet of things will
become a reality over the next 20 years.
• smart devices wirelessly communicating over hybrid
and ad-hoc networks of devices, sensors and actuators
working in synergy to improve the quality of our lives
and in synergy to improve the quality of our lives and
consistently reducing the ecological impact of
mankind on the planet.
Wider Technological trends of Energy
• Energy issues such as energy harvesting and low-
power chipsets are central to the development of the
• The development of new and more efficient and
compact energy storage like batteries, fuel cells, and
printed/polymer batteries as well as new energy
generation devices coupling energy transmission
methods or energy harvesting using energy
conversion will be the key factors for implementing
autonomous wireless smart systems.
• IOT represents a paradigm shift that will
enable smart cities around the world.
• Sensor cloud integration for green IOT is
promising, but research is still in infancy.
Q. Han, S. Liang, and H. Zhang, ``Mobile cloud sensing, big data, and
5G networks make an intelligent and smart world,'' IEEE Netw., vol. 29,
no. 2, pp. 4045, Mar./Apr. 2015.
 L. Atzori, A. Iera, and G. Morabito, ``The Internet of Things: A
survey,'‘ Comput. Netw., vol. 54, no. 15, pp. 27872805, Oct. 2010.
 C. Perera, C. H. Liu, S. Jayawardena, and M. Chen, ``A survey on
Internet of Things from industrial market perspective,'' IEEE Access,
vol. 2, pp. 16601679, Jan. 2014.
 L. Da Xu, W. He, and S. Li, ``Internet of Things in industries: A
survey,'‘ IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 22332243, Nov.
 C. Perera, C. H. Liu, and S. Jayawardena, ``The emerging Internet of
Things marketplace from an industrial perspective: A survey,'' IEEE
Trans.Emerg. Topics Comput., to be published.