2. What is 4G ?
• 4G is the fourth generation of wireless mobile telecommunications
technology, succeeding 3G.
• A 4G system provides an end to end IP solution where voice , data
and streamed multimedia can be served to users on an “Anytime ,
Anywhere” basis at higher data rates than previous generation.
• A 4G system targets peak data rates of approximately 100 Mbps for
high mobility service.
3. What is 4G ?
• It's the same technology used in Wi-Fi, ADSL broadband, digital TV and
• The main reason 4G is faster than 3G is because of Orthogonal
Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM).
5. - The process began with the
designs in the 1970s that have
become known as 1G.
- Introduced in 1980 .
- AMPS was first launched in USA in
1G mobile system .
1G (First Generation) :
6. - The 2G (second generation)
systems designed in the
1980s were still used mainly
for voice applications.
- Based on GSM .
- Use digital signals .
2G (Second Generation) :
7. - To meet the growing
demands in network
capacity, rates required
for high speed data
transfer and multimedia
- The systems in this
standard are essentially
a linear enhancement of
3G (Third Generation) :
8. - A 4G system targets
peak data rates of
approximately 100 Mbps
for high mobility service.
4G (Fourth Generation) :
■ 4G is being developed to accommodate the
Quality of Service (QOS) and rate requirements
set by forth coming applications like
1. MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service).
2. Wireless Broadband Service.
3. Video Chat.
4. Mobile TV.
5. Digital Video Broadcasting.
6. High Network Capacity.
7. Data Rate of 100 Mbps for mobile and 1 Gbps while
8. Smooth handoff across heterogeneous network..
9. Seamless Connectivity and Global Roaming
across multiple networks.
12. 4G IN INDIA
• Bharti Airtel launched India's first 4G service, using TD-
LTE technology, in Kolkata on April 10, 2012.
• Airtel 4G services are available in Kolkata, Bangalore, Pune and
Chandigarh region (The Tricity or Chandigarh region consists of a
major city Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula.
• Bharti Airtel is launching 4G services in Delhi by Jan 2014.
• India uses the TD LTE frequency #40 (2.3 GHz), Apple iPhone 5s
supports the TD LTE 40 band.
13. • It speedily download the files over wireless network
system or form. Data Rate of 100 Mbps for mobile
and 1 Gbps while stationary.
• Extremely high voice quality
• It can simply reach internet, streaming media,
instant massaging (IM), common networks, video
calling, and many more thing's.
• It continues connected to the internet devoid of any
•4G is 10 times faster than 3G.
14. • It has simpler approach to the service and
• 4G will be a global standard that provides global
mobility and service portability so that service
provider will no longer be limited by single-system.
• Access technologies, services and applications can
unlimitedly be run through wireless backbone over
wire-line backbone using IP address.
15. • New frequencies means new components in cell
• Consumer is forced to buy a new device to support
• It is impossible to make your current equipment
compatible with the 4G network.
• 4G is only currently available in certain cities.
• Battery usage is more.
16. • LTE system is complex and hence required skilled
engineers to maintain and manage the system. They
need to be paid higher salaries in order to retain them.
• Multiple Input Multiple Output.
• This systems use spatial multiplexing.
• It permits parallel streams to be transmitted simultaneously by antennas.
• MIMO transmits multiple signals across the communications channel, data
rate in MIMO systems gets multiplied by the number of antennas used.
• IPv6 means Internet Protocol Version 6 .
• Each computer (known as a host) on the Internet has at least one IP that
uniquely identifies it from all other computers on the Internet.
• Earth's population stands at around 6.6 billion. The Internet has a population
of just 1.3 billion.
• IPv6 uses 128 bits for IPv6 addresses which allows for 340 billion billion billion
billion i.e. (3.4x1038) or theoretically allowing 2128 unique addresses.
• Example - 2001:0db8:0000:0042:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
21. SMART ANTENNAS
• Switched Antenna:
Based on the requirement of the
system ,signal is received at any given
• Adaptive Antenna:
Steer the signal at any direction of
interest ,nullify the interfering signal.
22. ADHOC NETWORKS
• Adhoc networks refer to spontaneous self organisation of network of
devices, not necessarily connected to internet.
• 4G will create hybrid wireless networks using adhoc networks.
• Intelligent routing to determine shortest path with least powers are used,
i.e, data packets are sent through paths with minimal power requirements.
23. ADAPTIVE MODULATION AND CODING
• AMC mechanism reacts to instantaneous variations in channel conditions and
accordingly modify the modulation & coding formats.
• Based on feedback from the receiver, response of the channel is estimated,
AMC allows different data rates to be assigned to different users.
• Channel statistics aid the transmitter and receiver to optimize system
parameters such as modulation, coding, bandwidth, channel estimation filters,
and automatic gain control.
24. SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO (SDR)
• SDR is key to 4G systems.
• Software Defined Radio allows some of the functional modules of radio
equipment like modulation/demodulation, signal generation, coding and
• Since 4G is all about convergence of diverse wireless standards, this can be
efficiently realized using SDR technology.