2. Stereotypical Audience Profile
• This genre is typically associated with males between the ages
of 16 and 24.
• Social Class – generally working/middle class, in education.
• Ethnicity – white
• Interests – piercings, tattoos, photography, instruments,
music, ipods, iphones, gigs/concerts, festivals, smoking, social
3. • Dress sense – Generally baggy, dark clothing possibly including neon colours.
Denim jackets are quite popular as well as t-shirts with images of other indie
rock bands, or older bands. Vintage clothing is very popular and hair styles are
usually quite bright, with a lot of people having dyed hair (green, red, blue or
purple are popular colours). Sunglasses and hats are also key accessories, as well
as over-the-shoulder bags.
• How often they listen/watch music videos – They watch them almost everyday.
A lot of indie rock audiences say they ‘live, breath and sleep music’ and that
music is their lives; therefore watching these videos and listening to new tracks is
very important to them.
• Preferred musical genre is indie rock/rock/alternative
• Likely to watch independent film not blockbusters
• Likely to shop at Topshop, Topman, American Apparrel,
H&M and vintage shops or charity shops.
• If a male, highly likely to be in a band
• Likely to drink on a regular basis or smoke
• Likely to attend gigs and festivals on a regular basis
• Unlikely to take part in sport competitively
• Likely to take pride in showing their individuality in