What is Relay?
• At Relay, teams of people camp out at a local high
school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or
running around a track or path.
• Because cancer never sleeps, Relays are overnight
events up to 24 hours in length.
• Relayers do not have to walk all night, but each
team is asked to have a representative on the track
at all times during the event.
• Relay starts with a Survivors Lap – an inspirational
time when survivors are invited to circle the track
together and help everyone celebrate the victories
we’ve achieved over cancer.
• We also recognize and celebrate caregivers at
Relay For Life. These individuals give their
time, love, and support to
friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers who face
• After dark, we honor
people who have been
touched by cancer and
remember loved ones
lost to the disease
during the Luminaria
are lit inside bags filled
with sand, each one
bearing the name of a
person touched by
participants often walk
a lap in silence.
Fight Back Ceremony
Last, there is a Fight Back Ceremony, where we make a
personal commitment to save lives by taking up the
fight against cancer. That personal commitment may
be to do something as simple as getting a screening
test, quitting smoking, or talking to elected officials
about cancer. By taking action, people are personally
taking steps to save lives and fight back against a
disease that takes too much.
Why We Fundraise
• With your help, we aren’t just fighting one type of
cancer – we’re fighting for every birthday
threatened by every cancer in every community.
• Each person who shares the Relay experience can
take pride in knowing that they are working to
create a world where this disease will no longer
threaten the lives of our loved ones or claim
another year of anyone’s life.
• Individual Levels & Prizes
You can achieve one of the fundraising club status as
well as earn special rewards for your achievements.
• Team Levels & Prizes
Your team total is used to determine which status your
team earns each year. You also have an opportunity
to collect a team gift for your fundraising success.
Sign Up and
Spread the Word
• Website: http://www.relayforlife.org/clarksburg
• Twitter: @CHSRelay2012
• Facebook: CHSRelay2012
• Team Captain Meetings: Second Tuesdays at 6pm!
o February 14th, March 13th, April 10th
and May 15th.
• Committee Meetings: Every other Tuesday at 6pm!
o Next meeting is February 7th in the Media Center