Se ha denunciado esta presentación.
Becoming a great listener
with one simple trick
I’m really into
What they think.
What they do.
1.Why it’s important to be a great listener
2.What great listeners do
3.What poor listeners do
4.What gets in the way
5.How to be a great listener
6.Practice makes perfect
Why it’s important to be a
• We don’t live in a vacuum. Most of us interact with other humans
every day. We are mothers, lovers, brothers, children, friends
and peers (as well as designers).
• People can tell when you are not listening.It makes them feel
uncomfortable. Sometimes they get cross and they shut down
the conversation. Our ability to understand and connect with
them is then diminished.
• As a designer (as well as a regular human) this can have
• BUT - Magic happens when you really start to listen to others.
What great listeners do.
• Eye contact
• Open body language
• Using words that show they are listening
- e.g. hmm, tell me more, what I just heard you say is…
What poor listeners do.
• Don’t make eye contact
• Look at their screens
• Have closed body language (e.g., arms or legs crossed)
• Appear to not hear what you say
• Are too distracted to engage in the conversation
What gets in the way?
• I’m too busy
• You are stupid
• I don’t like you
• I don’t care about what you are saying
• I’d rather think my own thoughts
• What I have to say is much more important
• I can’t wait to tell you what’s on MY mind
Think (but don’t say)…
“This person has something
really important to say”
Practice so you are
able to create a habit
that allows you to use
this mind hack when
you feel like you are
leaning away during a
Tweet to let me now
P.S. Try not to be