2. Use Affiliate Marketing to Build Your
• Who am I and why am I here?
• What is Cost Per Acquisition (CPA) advertising and why do it?
• What is an affiliate and what do they do?
• Tips and tricks to setting up and running an affiliate program
• Long term results, tweaks and performance goals
3. Tahoe Mountain Sports
• In business since 2006,
started as online only
• ~20% growth YOY, 7
• Now, 2500s.f. store in
KB, 70% sales
online/30% in store
• Cross Channel traffic
4. CPC, CPM and CPA – Oh My!
CPC – Cost Per Click
• Good lead, maybe a sale
CPM – Cost Per Impression
• Brand awareness,
CPA – Cost Per Acquisition
5. What is an Affiliate and what do they do?
Affiliate Marketing is an Internet-based marketing practice in
which a web retailer rewards Affiliates for the sales and/or
customers they refer.
Affiliates drive targeted shopping traffic to web retailers using
different promotional methods including:
Online Brand Development – They help you build your brand
Search Engine Optimization – They work hard to get you a sale
Web Community Building – They build web communities
Paid Search Engine Marketing (PPC) – They spend money to get
you a sale
6. Affiliate Marketing
Overview & Effectiveness
Affiliate compensation is “performance-based” on a “cost per sale”
model, meaning retailers only pay the contracted commission
after the sale/transaction takes place.
This is why I Love It!
Qualified Affiliates work to promote your brand free of charge with
the understanding that you'll convert their referral to a sale,
which results in a commission earned.
7. Affiliate Marketing
Overview & Effectiveness
Consider a few of the benefits if you're a web retailer:
Only Pay for Results - You're only charged for the marketing
efforts after the sale is complete.
Free Branding - Your pre-configured banner ad campaigns
circulate and distribute your brand for free.
New Customer Acquisition - Affiliates are a real time sales
force in addition to a tool for acquiring new, long-term
8. Examples of Affiliates
• Teton Gravity Research
• Retail Me Not
• The Find
• Millions and millions more………..
14. Tips and tricks to setting up and running an
Before Affiliate program launch a store/ecommerce system should
be working properly and efficiently from usability to order
Once that has been accomplished choose a reputable Affiliate
platform and produce program collateral including:
Quality Product Datafeed
Array of Banners & Other Ad Units
Program Terms & Description
15. Examples – Data Feeds
Accurate, In Stock, Updated Daily
20. Tips and tricks to setting up and running an
Don’t Set it and Forget It
Find an Affiliate Manager!
Or, do it internally, but dedicate the necessary resources
21. Tips and tricks to setting up and running an
Affiliate Manager Duties
Communication and responsiveness are crucial components of
the Affiliate Manager's role. Other duties include:
Regularly updating ad campaigns & promotional offers
Effectively communicating new promotional offers
Engaging Affiliates to optimize efforts & increase sales
Manage ongoing initiatives to effectively brand the program
22. Tips and tricks to setting up and running an
To build a successful Affiliate program you should:
View Affiliates as partners and individuals
Build relationships based on trust
Give Affiliates plenty of notice on promotions
Be responsive and predictable
Remain engaged with regular communication
Establish clear program terms and enforce them (includes
trademark or brand PPC bidding)
23. Long term results, tweaks and performance goals
• Develop your long term conversion rate and click
through goals - Adjust and monitor regularly
• Vary your regular vs. seasonal/promotional activity
• Continually recruit new affiliates and build out
24. Long term results, tweaks and performance goals
Develop your long term conversion rate and click through
goals - Adjust and monitor regularly
It is not uncommon for established Affiliate
programs to generate 10%-25% of a web
retailer's entire sales volume in a year.
***TMS – 1.2% Conversion Rate, 12% of sales, Over 2 million ad
25. Long term results, tweaks and performance goals
Vary your regular vs. seasonal/promotional activity
26. Long term results, tweaks and performance goals
Continually recruit new affiliates and build out
• Email introductions, check-ins, anything needed?
• Commission bumps, Incentive levels
• Encourage adoption of all your tools
• Share/Trade content
27. The End!
David Polivy 1)
What does CPA stand for?
Name 1 kind of affiliate marketing
3) Name 1 affiliate network
Tahoe Mountain Sports 4) What is 1 thing you can do to
continually update and improve your
email@example.com affiliate marketing?
Preferred Affiliate Network –