Se ha denunciado esta presentación.
Se está descargando tu SlideShare. ×

Startup Fundraising 101

Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio
Anuncio

Eche un vistazo a continuación

1 de 38 Anuncio
Anuncio

Más Contenido Relacionado

Presentaciones para usted (20)

A los espectadores también les gustó (20)

Anuncio

Similares a Startup Fundraising 101 (20)

Más reciente (20)

Anuncio

Startup Fundraising 101

  1. 1. Startup Funding 101: How To Get Started, with Adeo Ressi
  2. 2. Meet Today’s Moderator Shahab Kaviani Co-Founder | CMO, Onevest • 10+ years as a startup founder • Previously co-founded CoFoundersLab and HyperOffice (exited) • Raised over $800k – including a portion via equity crowdfunding
  3. 3. Disclaimer Securities offered through WealthForge, LLC. Member FINRA/SIPC Onevest Corporation ("Onevest") is not a registered broker-dealer and does not give investment advice with respect to any securities. All the startup offerings listed are offered by the applicable Issuer. Onevest has not taken any steps to verify the accuracy of the information provided on the offerings that are listed. Onevest takes no part in the negotiation of the transaction and no securities are executed through Onevest's platform. Onevest receives no compensation in connection with the purchase or sale of securities. Testimonials may not be representative of the experience of all clients. Testimonials are not a guarantee of future performance or success.
  4. 4. CAPABILITIES STATISTICS 50,000 Entrepreneurs and Investors 7,000 introductions per month Companies who have worked with Onevest have collectively raised over $100M in funding Equity crowdfunding Founder-matching via website and events Connecting investors with promising startups Free live educational webinars
  5. 5. SUCCESSFUL MATCH SUCCESSFULLY RAISED Boulder, CO Built their team on Onevest Techstars Alumni AusCn, TX Raised $750K w/ the help of Onevest Capital Factory Alumni
  6. 6. The New World of Funding Don’t Be Shooting Blanks
  7. 7. 3 Sources of Capital Start Here ITEM FOOLS ANGELS VCS Full-time Team or Founders - 1 > 2 Proven Domain Expertise - PARTIAL YES Functioning Prototype - YES YES Initial Customer Adoption - YES STRONG Finished Product - - YES Proven Customer Use Cases - - YES Monthly Growth >20% - - YES AMOUNT $25-50K $250-750K $1.5-3.0 MM
  8. 8. What to Expect • 1 Full-time CEO Founder • 20 Hours per Week • During All Hours • 3 to 6 Months • $5,000 - $15,000 in Legal • Economics – Time Invested = 240 Hours – Earning per Hour = > $1,000
  9. 9. set your strategy
  10. 10. your only goal is to find a lead
  11. 11. The Role of the Lead • Complete diligence on your company • Provide credibility to other angel investors • Set financial terms of the investment • Provide operating expertise and advice
  12. 12. 1. Interest in Your Segment 2. Financial Resources 3. Time & Risk Readiness
  13. 13. Lead 30 Posers 20 Interested 10 Investors 1 Lead
  14. 14. you will get blacklisted by premature fundraising
  15. 15. get out there
  16. 16. attend every industry event
  17. 17. Lead Follow On Connector 1 2 3
  18. 18. build relationships
  19. 19. start by building interest, then convert to a lead
  20. 20. 1.Meet 2.Invite to Coffee 3.News Update 4.Meet at Event 5.Dinner Invite 6.Funding Ask 7.News Update 1 2 ~ 50% 3 4 5 6 7 Likelihood to Close Time ~ 1 Month
  21. 21. the goal of each meeting is to get to the next meeting
  22. 22. Soft Circled Hard Circled $75,000 $200,000 75% Likelihood 25% Likelihood
  23. 23. converting a lead
  24. 24. “Would you be interested in being an advisor and leading the round?”
  25. 25. Compensate the Lead • Offer an Advisor Position – Only AFTER agreement to lead – Start with off the Board, but Board Possible • Offer Advisory Shares – 0.5% to 2.5% in options that vest over 2 year
  26. 26. Propose the Terms • Outline Terms to Lead – Start with a friendly Convertible Debt Round • Have Company Counsel Draft Term Sheet – Reduce the costs of lead’s legal • Produce the Final Agreements – Simplify time required to lead
  27. 27. Build Buzz • Plan a Series of Company Internal Milestones – Ensure updates in a monthly newsletter • Organize One Public Announcement before Close – External validation is key, such as partnerships • Ensure Metrics are Moving Up and to the Right – Bad performance during fundraising can kill a deal
  28. 28. closing the deal
  29. 29. Needed to Close • Strong company counsel engaged • Agreed upon Term Sheet • Minimum closing amount • Minimum investment amount • Initial closing date • Maximum amount with a rolling close
  30. 30. The Round Composition ITEM NUMBER TARGET MIN MIX Lead Investor 1 1 $50,000 $500,000 + Large Angels 0 - 5 1 $50,000 $250,000 + Small Angels 0 - 10 3 $10,000 $25,000 Friends 0 - 3 0 $5,000 $10,000 TOTAL - 5 - 6 $250,000 $500,000
  31. 31. Equity or Convertible ITEM EQUITY CONVERTIBLE Term Sheet 3 Pages 1 Page Closing Costs $15 - $25,000 $5 - $15,000 Position Preferred Owner Option Control Board and Operations Requiring Capital Negative Hard to Price Equity New Positive Clear Ownership Easy and Fast
  32. 32. Valuation ITEM LOW HIGH Pre Money 1,000,000 5,000,000 Raise 150,000 1,000,000 Post Money 1,150,000 6,000,000 Option Pool 10% 20% Ownership 13.0% 23.1% Fully Dilluted 12.7% 19.6%
  33. 33. in closing…
  34. 34. There are no shortcuts.
  35. 35. Tips • Be patient and build the relationship • Don’t ask for investment if “no” is likely • Investors will say “yes,” but will not fund you • Practice and refine the pitch constantly • Don’t give benefits until the deal is done • Stick to the facts • Don’t overpromise
  36. 36. Thank you! @founding
  37. 37. Next Steps • Visit Onevest.com • Visit Learn.Onevest.com • Twitter: @onevest • Facebook: /onevest

×