1. TRIAL EXAM Q1:
Actual Exam Q1: July 12, 2010 (Monday)
Multiple choices: (20 points) 30%
1. It is defined as the motion of a rigid body in which a straight line passing through any two of its particles always remains parallel to
its initial position.
a. Translation b. Rotation c. Plane motion d. Kinetics
2. A mango falls from a branch 5 meters above the ground. With what speed in meters per second will it strike the ground? Let g = 10
a. 34 b. 12 c. 10 d. 14
3. A bullet is fired at an initial velocity of 350 m/s and an angle of 50 deg with the horizontal. Neglecting air resistance, what maximum
height could the bullet rise?
a. 3646 m b. 4366 m c. 3466 m d. 3644 m
4. A study of motion without reference to the force which causes motion is known as:
a. Kinetics b. Dynamics c. Statics d. Kinematics
5. A ball is thrown from tower 30 m high above the ground with velocity of 300 m/s directed at 20 deg from the horizontal. How long
will the ball hit the ground?
a. 24.2 b. 23.2 c. 21.2 d. 22.2
6. A shot is fired at an angle of 45 deg with a horizontal and velocity of 300 ft per sec. Find the height and the range of the projectile.
a. 600 ft and 2500 ft b. 700 ft and 2800 ft c. 1000 ft and 4800 ft d. 750 ft and 3000 ft
7. A train upon passing point A at speed of 72 kph accelerates at 0.75 m/s2, for one minute along a straight path then decelerates at
1.0 m/s2. How far in km, from point A will it be 2 minutes after passing point A.
a. 4.95 b. 4.75 c. 4.85 d. 4.65
8. The path of a projectile is:
a. A parabola b. An ellipse c. A part of a circle d. A hyperbola
9. A train running at 60 kph decelerated at 2 m/min2 for 14 minutes. Find the distance traveled, in km, within this period.
a. 12.2 b. 13.2 c. 13.8 d. 12.8
10. To maximize the horizontal range of the projectile, which of the following applies?
a. Maximize the angle of elevation c. Maximize the angle of elevation and velocity
b. Maximize velocity d. The tangent function of the angle of trajectory must be equal to one
Identification: (15 points) 20%
1. ________ is a vector quantity that pertains to the change in position of a body in a particular direction.
2. ________ is defined as the displacement of a particle divided by the time interval which displacement occurred.
3. _______ is where the gravity of an object is equal to each other.
4. _______ is a negative acceleration or having a sign opposite to that of the velocity.
5. _______ is a state when the body travels from a certain height to the surface of the earth (or any planet) in the absence of forces
other than gravity.
6. _______ is a force that pulls things together based on there mass and how close they are together.
7. _______ is the tendency of a body to remain in a state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.
8. 1 cubic meter is equivalent to ______ cubic feet.
9. _______ it is the point at which total mass of body is assumed to be concentrated.
10. ________ it is a single component of an object system or a small part of something.
11. 1 ft is equivalent to _______ meters.
12. _______ is the quantity that has direction and magnitude.
13. _______ is the rate of change of velocity.
14. ________ is the relationship between base units and other units. The power to which the three fundamental units of mass, length
and time must be raised to brief the unit of a given physical quantity.
15. _______ is the branch of science that deals with the properties of matter and energy.
Problem Solving: (20 points) 50%
1. At t=0 bullet A is fired vertically with an initial (muzzle) velocity of 450 m/s. When t=3s, bullet B is fired upward with a muzzle
velocity of 600 m/s. Determine the time t, after A is fired, as to when bullet B passes bullet A. At what altitude does this occur? 10
(Ans. t=10.3 sec, sA=SB=4.11 km)
2. Determine the time required for a car to travel 1 km along a road if the car starts from rest, reaches a maximum speed at some
intermediate point, and then stops at the end of the road. The car can decelerate at 1.5 m/s2 and decelerate at 2 m/s2. 5 points
(Ans. 48.3 sec)
3. Determine the smallest angle θ, measured above the horizontal that the hose should be directed so that the stream strikes the
bottom of the wall at B. The speed of the water at the nozzle is vc=48 ft/sec. 5 points
(Ans. 6.41 deg)
BONUS: (additional 10 points)
During a race the dirt bike was observed to leap up off the small hill at A at an angle of 60 deg with the horizontal. If the point of landing is
20 ft away, determine the approximate speed at which the bike was traveling just it left the ground. Neglect the size of the bike for
(Ans. 27.3 ft/sec)