President / CEO
Who am I?
• Don’t just listen to me
– I won’t be offended if you disagree with everything in my presentation.
– B.S. Degree from Trinity University,
• Management Information Systems (MIS)
– 15 years as an IT Pro
• Texas Instruments; Mobil Oil; Frito-Lay; PepsiCo; Cap Gemini; CitiGroup;
Verizon; Fidelity Investments; Bank of America, and others
– 18 years – owner of an IT Placement firm
– Placed over: 1,220+ IT Professionals
– r2 Tech grew 12.8% in 2009
– r2 Tech grew 31.1% in 2010
– r2 Tech grew 10.4% in 2011
• Try to find 2-3 “Nuggets” that you can use in your job search!
• Accept ALL LinkedIn
Put your contact
information on your
* e-mail address
* phone number
Bring Copies of
to your Interview
• Research which companies are
attending, which jobs you are a fit
and apply on-line before attending
• Don’t attend when they first open
– wait towards the end of the session
– Going during their lunch break
• On your cover letter
– Write the Job Id Number
– Position Title of the position(s) that you
are qualified for (Big & Bold)
• Identify Hiring Managers, they
always stick out
– Walk by them and read their name tags,
they are always wearing one
– Send them your resume THAT EVENING
• Don’t Delay!
• Follow-up with them in a week
Finding out e-mail of Managers
• Review the search results, looking for people’s names
and you will see the naming conventions for the
company’s e-mail addresses
• Bring Examples of your Work to your
• Put it in a Binder with tabs
• Make sure these examples Emphasize your
skills and match the job Description
• Don’t Leave any materials with Employer
• Two Most IMPORTANT Interview
Questions to ask
– For the person that fills this job, what will
they be doing for the first 90-days on
– Based upon my background and skills, do
you have any reservations that I can
perform this job?
Thank you Card
• Ask if they are on LinkedIn?
• Instead of sending a Thank
You Card after an interview,
send them a LinkedIn
• Re-state your strengths,
how you can help him/her,
and ask him/her to read
Tell Your Spouse NOT to ask you if you
got a Job… You’ll tell them!
I need my wife “off my back!”
“Mature” Job Seekers Take Note!
• #1: Be Cautious in giving too much Information
(rambling) in an Interview
• Tailor your resume to the job you are applying for
• 3-4 pages, of Relevant, Deliverable centric experience
• Identify 2-3 Projects where you Increased sales or performance!
• Turn your interview into a “snooze fest” by doing a history
dump for the last 20+ years
• #2: Don’t Have an Attitude
– Don’t act superior to an interviewer
– Don’t tell them how much you can teach them
“Mature” Job Seekers Take Note!
• #3: Don’t become a “Yes” Man
– Don’t agree with everything being said, without a
– Don’t act desperate, Be Professional, Polished, and
• #4: Talk about:
– How you are creative, problem-solving, energetic, and
learning about new technologies for this industry!
• #5: Appearance Matters
– Dress like you are up-to-date and modern. Be
professional, ask yourself: “How old is this tie?”
Don’t Apologize for your Age…
But Don’t Act OLD…
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.