2. History of Billboard:
• This magazine was first published in
New York on November 1st 1894.
• It’s distinguished as being among
the oldest trade magazines in the
• This magazine only began
specialising in music in the 1960’s- it
used to focus on bill posting and
3. Content Overview:
• Includes news about music festivals,
artist news and fashion.
• Includes song/album reviews.
• Includes chart updates.
• Includes interview based articles of artists.
• Includes musicians birthdays.
• Includes future hits.
• Includes some celebrity gossip.
• Lots of relevant images.
4. Publishing Institution:
• Prometheus Global Media are the company who
published this magazine.
• This institution is based in New York City, but it’s
• Prometheus Global Media’s parent company is called
‘Guggenheim Partners’. This company is a global
investment and advisory financial services firm that
engages in investment banking, capital market
services, investment management and investment
5. Typical Reader Profile:
• Older teenagers- possibly 17/18 year
olds due to it coming across as quite a
• Appealing to both sex’s, however the
central image and headline may attract a
• Reader enjoys music and reading about
their favourite artists.
6. Layout trademarks
• Same repetitive masthead.
• Central Image is a celebrity looking
straight into the camera looking
• Persistent house style. Often use
same range of colours: White,
Black, Blue, Red and Yellow; this is
because they connote fun and
• Many include a yellow strapline.
7. Does the magazine reflect the values
of its audience?
• The magazine reflects the age of the
audience as it comes across as quite
informal and chatty, yet the layout
comes across as organised and it
• Billboard also includes some fashion
tips/ideas, this reflects the values of
the audience because teenagers are
generally quite fashionable, therefore
fashion tips are something that would
appeal to them.