2. When was Radio first established?
There is no specific date in which Radio was
invented however it was first established twenty
years after the telephone invention became a
success. Telephones were used as a
communication device which was also used to
send music. A man named Guglielmo Marconi
used the same method to send radio signals.
3. Guglielmo Marconi
• Marconi (1874-1937) was born in Italy,
• He analysed Heinrich Hertz’s earlier discovery of
• it gave Marconi inspiration and motivation to
carry out experiments,
• This would then be trailed and tested huge
potential in the idea being successful.
• Marconi had vast amounts of knowledge of radio
waves, he understood that radio waves can be
used for sending and receiving telegraph
messages (wireless telegraph), he knew that his
invention had potential.
4. How it all began?
• In 1896 Marconi’s first radio was transmitted
• The invention was offered to the Italian
government however the proposal was turned
down. He migrated to England where he carried
out further experiments on his radio invention.
• The First radio factory was established in
Chelmsford, Essex. A radio link between Britain
and France was discovered.
5. What was the radio used for?
• The radio was used for soldiers to communicate
• News on scientific topics, including
space, physics, planet earth, discoveries, NASA
including satellite information were discussed.
• They were able to communicate to senior
authority figures in USA.