• “Naturopathy is a system of man building in harmony
with the constructive principles of nature on physical,
mental, moral and spiritual planes of being.”
• The BASIC THEORIES OF NATUROPATHY
involves 4 basic explanations viz;
1. Unity of disease and unity of treatment ( Dr. Louis
2. Foreign matter theory (Dr. Louis Kuhne)
3. Toxemia theory (J.H Tilden)
4. Panchamahabhuta theory.
3. UNITY OF DISEASE AND UNITY OF TREATMENT:
• There exist three primary causes/
manifestation of disease and of premature
death of the physical body.
• In correspondence with the three primary
causes of disease, Nature Cure recognizes the
following Natural Methods of Treatment:
a) Return to Nature, or the establishment of normal habits
b) Economy of vital force.
4. •Violation of nature’s law is considered as the
PRIMARY CAUSE OF DISEASE.
Manifestation of which are:
a. lowered vitality
b. abnormal composition of blood and lymph
c. accumulation of morbid matter and toxins.
5. The SECONDARY MANIFESTATION OF
a. hereditary and acquired traits
b. disease germs and parasites
e. skin eruption
f. catarrhal discharge
i. haemorrhage etc.
6. UNITY OF DISEASE:
PRIMARY CAUSE OF DISEASE-
• Primary cause of disease is violation of nature’s
i. Wrong food habits: overeating, wrong
combination, tea, coffee, alcohol consumption
ii. Wrong thinking: dissatisfaction, ego, tension,
depression, selfishness, anger, worries.
iii. Wrong living: lack of hygiene, lack of rest and
relaxation, constipation etc.
8. LOWERED VITALITY
• Due to overwork
• Night work
• Excess stimulation
• Consumption of poisonous drugs
• ILL ADVISED invasive procedures.
9. ABNORMAL COMPOSITION OF BLOOD
• Improper selection or combination of food
especially that leads to the lack of organic
minerals, salts and essential nutritional
10. ACCUMULATION OF MORBID MATTER
Due to lowered vitality and abnormal
composition of blood and lymph as well as
faulty diet, overeating, use of alcoholic and
narcotic stimulant drugs, suppression of acute
disease by poisonous drugs.
11. UNITY OF TREATMENT:
• Return to nature i.e establishment of normal
habits and surroundings, exercise, massage and
other detox treatments.
• Economy of vital force, by proper rest and
relaxation, right mental attitude, natural and
• Elimination, judicious fasting, hydrotherapy,
air bath, sun bath, manipulative therapy, herbal
12. FOREIGN MATTER THEORY:
• Foreign matter are those substances which are
either present in body or enter the body via
various routes due to faulty habits, improper
digestion and improper elimination of morbid
• These are unabsorbed, uneliminated and
unassimilated inside the organ and organ
system and hamper the functioning of
• Toxemia is a condition
in which the toxins are
present in blood, it is
also known as blood
• When the metabolic end
products exceed their
level it results in
• Disease is a crisis of
indicates that toxins are
accumulated in in the
blood above the
• All acute disease will get well if patient
practices self control concerning the
enervation habits that caused disease.
• The patient should be educated about proper
living habits so as to avoid further crisis of
When for the prolonged period the natural laws
are violated and no efforts are made to correction
for the initial warning signs, then the morbid end
products starts accumulating to the extent that
slowly it is found circulating in the blood stream,
this is the manifestation of blood borne diseases.
• Henry Lindlahr, “Practice of Natural Therapeutics.”The Lindlahr publishing
co. Chicago, 1922.
• Dr.John H.Tilden, “Impaired Health Its Cause and Cure: A Repudiation of
the Conventional Treatment of Disease.”Health Research Mokelumne hill,
• Dr. H. K. Bakhru, “A Complete Handbook of Nature Cure – Edition 4”, Jaico
Publishing House:Mumbai, 2006.
• M. K. Gandhi, “Key to Health”, Navjivan Publishing House:Ahmedabad,
• Adolph Just (Author), Benedict Lust (Translator), “Return to Nature: The
True Natural Method of Healing and Living and the True Salvation of the
Soul, Paradise Regained V1”, Kessinger Publishing:LLC, 2007.
• Louis Kuhne and Benedict Lust, “Neo Naturopathy: The New Science of
Healing or the Doctrine of Unity of Diseases”, Kessinger Publishing:LLC,