2. Food pyramids
• It is a guide to food proportions depending on
the age and physiological requirements of an
• E.g a food pyramid for an adult who requires
more energy for his/her day to day activities.
• However, children need more body building
foods because they are in a state of rapid
growth and development
7. Food groups
It is Foods are often sub-divided into groups containing foods with
similar nutritional properties/content.
These are thirteen food groups and are referred to as FAO 13 food
• Milk and dairy products
• Cereal and cereal products
• Wheat and wheat products
• Legumes and pulses
• Fish and fish products
• Fruits and vegetables
• Fats and oils
• Roots and tubers
• Poultry and poultry products
• Sugar and sugary products.
• Meat and meat products