What is meant by green building?
A green or sustainable building is a building that, because of its construction and features, can maintain or improve the quality of life of the environment in which it is located.
• A green building is an environmentally sustainable building,
designed, constructed and operated to minimise the total
• Green building is the practice of creating structures and processes
that are environment friendly and resource-efficient throughout the
life span of a building right from site selection to design,
construction, operation, maintenance, renovation and
• Green building is a resource-efficient method of construction that
produces healthier buildings which have less impact on the
environment and cost less to maintain.
• Green Buildings are designed to reduce the overall impact on
human health and the natural environment.
• The techniques associated with the `Green Building' include
measures to :
1. prevent erosion of soil,
2. rainwater harvesting,
3. preparation of landscapes to reduce heat,
4. reduction in usage of potable water,
5. recycling of waste water and
6. use of world class energy efficient practices.
OBJECTIVES OF GREEN
• Low Impact
-Minimize impact on natural environment
• Energy Efficient
-Reduced Energy usage and Water usage
-Protect occupant health and increase productivity
• Minimize waste
-Designed and constructed in a manner that minimizes waste,
pollution, and environmental degradation
GREEN BUILDING CERTIFICATIONS
• In India, three certifying agencies are most popular, and they certify
buildings under the names:
1. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
2. Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA)
3. Indian Green Building Council (IGBC)