2. Accepting / delaying / rejecting
Making a complaint the complaint
• Excuse me, I’m sorry to trouble you, • Oh, I’m sorry about that.
but…. • I can’t tell you how sorry I am
• I’m afraid I have to make a • I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize
complaint. • I just don’t know how to say.
• Excuse me, I’m afraid…
• Excuse me, there seems to be
something wrong with…
• I wonder if you could help me….. • I suggest you leave it with us and
we’ll see what we can do.
• I’m afraid we can’t help you at the
• Do you think I could get a refund/ • Could you leave your contact phone
new... / different... number and address? We will contact
• I want to speak with the manager. you soon.
• Well, I’m afraid there is nothing we
can do about it actually.
• Well, I’m afraid there isn’t much we
can do about it.
A: Excuse me, I’m sorry to trouble you, but I asked for a
non-smoking room and you have given me a smoking
B: Oh, I’m really sorry about that.
A: Do you think I could get a non-smoking room?
B: I can’t tell you how sorry I am, but we do not have
any non-smoking rooms available at the moment.
A: Then I want to speak with the manager, please.
B: Immediately, sir.