LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
The VAS & App Ecosystem in the Mobile Broadband Era
Unstructured supplementary service data
“The VAS & App Ecosystem
in the Mobile Broadband
Era” – BY SPENCER
Review –VAS ARENA
CASE for VAS
Role of MNOs
3rd Party engagement
• Mobile Value Added Services (MVAS) have assumed significant importance in recent
times due to the rapid growth in wireless subscriber base.
• They have enhanced the utility of mobile phone as a powerful medium to deliver
information viz., News, Entertainment, Advertisement, Music, Games, Commerce,
Education and Health, Farming etc.
• More than 90% of consumers have their mobile phone within arm’s reach, making it
clear that mobile’s “power of the personal” must be at the core of the connected
REVIEW – Mobile & Data Penetration
• Mobile penetration now at 101% in
• 39.9% have access to data(rest of Africa averages - 21% of mobile subscribers use
Smartphones; 59% use basic feature phones; 16% use advance feature phones)
• Developed Countries have 84% penetration
• Globally, mobile-broadband penetration will reach 32% by end 2014 – almost double the
penetration rate just three years earlier (2011) and four times as high as five years earlier
• Mobile broadband remains the fastest growing market segment, with continuous double-
digit growth rates in 2014.
• Mobile broadband is growing fastest in developing countries, where 2013/2014 growth
rates are expected to be twice as high as in developed countries (26% compared with
11.5%). SOURCE : ITU
CASE FOR VAS!!!!
Every moment is MOBILE
and is aimed at exploring how mobile
brings solutions not only to address our
personal challenges but also national and
SOLUTION - The Cure to Poverty Is Connectivity and Individual Empowerment
MVAS is the next wave. The three levels of service maturity are:
1. Basic MVAS services
are most often informational, and generally do not offer transactional or interactive
2. Enriched services
apply the connected and remote nature of mobility to extend the reach of a service
and strengthen its utility.
3. Transformational services
apply the principles of mobility to fundamentally reinvent the ways in which services are
delivered and consumed.
Mobile as a : Revenue Channel, CRM Channel, Productive tool and Entertainent.
MVAS – ECOSYSTEM STAKEHOLDERS
• A network that will lead to generation of new “digital entrepreneurs” that will work
towards building solutions not only to address our national challenges but also global
• This ecosystem shows how stakeholders impact the creation of specific mobile VAS
products and helps frame different implementation models.
Content/ App Owner
FOUR MAJOR PILLARS
The use of VAS is largely
Dependent on the features
Available in the handset
APPS,SMS, IVR, 3G & USSD
platforms used to deliver
VAS to the consumer
Growth of VAS market
Dependent on relevant content
Available to consumers
CURRENT VAS TRENDS
MERGERS & TAKE-OVERS
• Facebook acquires Whatsapp in $19bn deal
• Apple buys Beats By Dr Dre for $3bn
• Twitter reportedly mulling Sound cloud purchase.
• Spotify acquires music data firm The Echo Nest
• Google launching Android TV – Open up opportunities for developers, content
providers to exploit and distribute streaming services to the television
• SAMSUNG releases own Operating system
The benefits of value added services -Drives broadband usage, Triggers
THE FUTURE IS APPS & CONTENT!!!!
THE FUTURE OF MVAS
With the advent of 3G and even 4G services worldwide, and the additional bandwidth on
offer, several new trends are emerging.
There is a shift from traditional VAS services to new generation services and applications.
When 3G Flies, MVAS will soar.
Govt. Services VoIP/IM TeleMed/TeleEdu
Enterprise services Video services Video Calling
Mobile Commerce Application Stores Music Services
Mobile TV Gaming Location Based Services
THE FUTURE OF MVAS cont…
• It is expected that 3G/4G deployments will accelerate, smartphone and tablet
penetration will grow and MVAS service maturity moves from basic to enriched and
• The Zimbabwean MVAS market will experience dramatic growth.
• The Cure to Poverty Is Connectivity and Individual Empowerment – Customers are
willing to pay if the content is right.
STRATEGIES MNO’s –POTENTIAL PITFALLS
• Use of outdated data - real-time data using deep-packet inspection, operators will be
better able to understand what is happening on their network.
• Real-time network analytics is important especially with the rise of over-the-top video
• When delivering content, the most important step for the operator is to understand the
quality of user experience of the OTT service,
• Without proper understanding of the network traffic, operators will not know what went
• To understand their network, operators need the correct tools for measuring, reporting,
analyzing and policy
MNO’s as VAS Enablers
Role of operators:
• Innovation in services and applications
• Content and applications that drive usage
• Product simplicity and Quality of Service
• Increase spread of broadband infrastructure
• Handset upgrade/customization
• Customer Experience and customer support
• Aggressive marketing
• Partner Relationship
• Right platforms and systems
• Product and service support
• Technical expertise
• Service Level Agreements
• Detailed profile of your organisation
• The clearly distinct roles and obligations of each of entities in a project.
• Detailed product description and design
• The cost of the solution including any recurring license fees or a proposed model
• Technical specifications of the Hardware and Software to be used.
• The Technical model including the envisaged connection schematic.
• Revenue projections with specific reference as to how each organisation will be
• How the initiative will be marketed with a clear marketing plan and the marketing
• Reference sites where a similar or comparable initiative has been successfully
• Technical support plan for the service