LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
Allison Carithers Interior Design ProgramForsyth Tech Community College
The area known as the Piedmont today was owned by Lord Granville from 1743-1763. In 1763, Granville dies and no new land grants were recorded until 1777. What is now Guilford County was once part of the frontier called the ‘Backcountry.’ The backcountry was any undeveloped land past the eastern coast region, and many non-English settlers established their home here in the 18th century. After 1735, as the supply of land grew short in colonies farther north, numerous farmers from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia made the long journey to the North Carolina Piedmont, along the path which came to be called the Great Wagon Road.
Many of these settlers were Quakers, who came from Pennsylvania. In 1748 the first Quakers settled in the Piedmont. In 1766, Quakers John and Phebe Wall moved to the Deep River area in Guilford County from Pennsylvania. They and their daughter Phebe became members of the New Garden Meeting.
John Haley made his first appearance in a 1768 Rowan County tax list for the North Buffalo-Reedy Fork area . Not much is known about his early life, his birthplace or birth date. On October 31, 1772, John Haley and Phebe Wall were married. Although there are no records that show John Haley was a Quaker, there is also no evidence indicating that Phebe was disowned for marrying a non-Quaker. It is interesting to note that a very prominent Quaker, Enos Blair was the bondsman at their wedding. In 1779, 640 acres was granted to John Haley, and in 1786, the Haleys had completed their house, built in the Quaker style. John Haley wore many hats in his lifetime including blacksmith, tax collector and sheriff. In 1789, he was an overseer North elevation; Allison Carithers-personal photo for the construction of the Quaker Road/Salisbury-Petersburg Road (Lexington Avenue) through his land. There is some confusion that he was a Captain in the Revolutionary War, but evidence points to this being a different John Haley.
John and Phebe did not have any children of their own, but they did have a house full of people, including John’s brothers Patrick and Hugh. Hugh’s wife and children also lived in the house for a period of time as well. The following census records show the number of people living in the house: 1790 - nine people, including two slaves 1800-household included two children and five slaves 1810- four white males, one white female, and six slaves The number of slaves also shows Haley’s increase in wealth over the years. Although Quakers typically were not slave-holders, some Quakers did own slaves. Often Quakers educated their slaves, paid them, and helped them to become free.
After John Haley’s death in 1813, the house was left to his wife Phebe andthen to his nephew Jesse. After Jesse got into some financial trouble andmoved to Indiana, the house was sold to James Wheeler who used thehouse as an inn. The City of High Point finally purchased the property in1966. It was then restored by the High Point Historical Society as a historichouse museum. 1786-John Haley 1813- Phebe Haley 1816- Jesse Haley 1818- James Wheeler 1823-1837- Various owners 1837- John Welch 1838-1934- Various Welch Family Members 1934- Millie Creekmore Watson 1944- Donald Conrad (renovated house to “Haley Hill”) 1945- Capus Waynick 1966-City of High Point
It is the oldest house in Guilford County on its original foundation. It is drawn on the Price-Strother 1808 Map of North Carolina - indicating that it was a well-known landmark during the time period. The house displays Germanic architecture similar to buildings found in nearby Salem, which could point to a similar builder. The Haley House also shows Mid-Atlantic construction influences very similar to those in the Delaware Valley and the Albemarle Region of North Carolina, like the Newbold-White House in Hertford, in northeastern North Carolina. 1730 Newbold-White House, Hertford, NC It is an excellent example of the ‘Quaker Plan’ style. The house also gives insight into late 18th Century Quaker lifestyles.
John Haley’s house was a known landmark in early Guilford County. Thismap was the first official survey map of North Carolina.
Backcountry dwellings during the 18th Century were log houses because they were cheap, quick, and easy to construct. They usually had few windows and consisted of one large room with a single fireplace. http://xroads.virginia.edu/ ‘Hall and Parlor’ houses consist of two rooms, one large hall and a smaller parlor room. The hall would have been where all the cooking, eating, bathing, and general daily tasks would have taken place. The parlor would have been a nicer room for entertaining guests. They were usually one and half stories and had a gable roof. http://arthistory.wisc.edu
The Quaker Plan House was developed from the Hall and Parlor. They are typically one and half stories and keep the gable roof. There is still a large room called the hall, but the parlor is split up into two smaller rooms. There is usually a large, single fire place in the hall, and two smaller identical corner fireplaces in the parlors.googleimages.com There has been much debate if this type of house plan came from a set of instructions from William Penn, the Quaker leader who founded Pennsylvania. Penn does write specific instructions on how to construct a building such as this, but more research needs to be completed on this topic to learn if Penn is the originator of the idea for this type house.
Hall and Two Parlors Location of stairs within the hall Existence and placement of fireplaces in the parlors Building size/Plan proportions Single-room annex
The Haley House is a modified version of this first Quaker plan. Shown in the diagram, the two doorways to the parlors become one, and there is a doorway between the parlors. Allison Carithers-personal drawing
Gable Roof Flemish Bond Brick Segmental Arches over windows and doors Three Bays Glazed Headers Soapstone Medallion/Date stone North elevation; Allison Carithers-personal photo
A Gable Roof has two sloping sides that are exact and the ends form two triangles, or gables. http://www.nachi.org
Flemish Bond Brick Pattern is created by alternating headers and stretchers. This is a very difficult pattern to lay since it requires lining the vertical mortar joints exactly. It is one of the most decorative historic googleimages.com brick patterns. Allison Carithers-personal photo
Segmental Arches over Doors and Windows Allison Carithers-personal photo
Three Bays – The door and two windows are placed to create three equal parts. Allison Carithers-personal photo
Glazed Headers - Some headers were burned to create a decorative pattern. Soapstone Medallion/Date Stone - This is unusual to be found on an individuals home and shows that the builders wanted to mark the permanence and importance of a structure. Allison Carithers-personal photo Allison Carithers-personal photo
The northwest corner of house is the only corner where the bricks are worn. Legend has itthat this is from stagecoaches pulling around the house during the days it served as an inn.There is no further evidence to prove this, but it is fun to think about. What do you thinkcould have caused the worn bricks? Allison Carithers Personal Photos
Double Jam Fireplaces - The fireplaces are cut back twice. Fireplaces share interior chimney - The identical corner Allison Carithers Personal Photos fireplaces in the parlors share a chimney instead of venting through individual chimneys.
Original Plasters Plaster for interior walls used to be made with straw and also horsehair. During the last restoration the original plaster was left exposed on the staircase wall. Horsehair StrawAllison Carithers Personal Photos
Beaded Ceiling Beams - This was done to the bottom side of the second floor floors to add decoration to the ceilings on the first floor.Allison Carithers Personal Photo
Original Plan-1786 South elevation, facing Lexington Ave.; Allison Carithers Personal photos
1895 Annex Addition to east side of house.Welch Sisters in front ofsouth elevation in 1895High Point Historical Society Collection
By 1931, a porch had been added to the back of the house. This is the only known image of the porch addition. 1931 Greensboro Daily News c. 1931
1943 The back porch has been closed in and the east annex has been removed.High Point Enterprise c. 1943
‘Haley Hill’ renovation in 1944 was the first dramatic change to the house. In 1943, a real estate company bought Haley House and thought that it should be restored to its ‘original Williamsburg style,’ which was not the correct historic period. To the right is the actual real estate listing from the local paper! High Point Enterprise, c. 1949 .
1944 First Floor•kitchen addition to the northwest side of the house•the stairs were moved to the south wall•the fireplace in the hall was made smaller•new doorways were added to the parlors•the door on the east wall was turned into a window North elevation; Haley Hill Real Estate Brochure c. 1944.
DORMERS 1944 Second Floor •dormers were added to the north roofline •the stairs moved to the south wall •walls were added to create two bedrooms, a bathroom and a hallway Haley Hill Real Estate Brochure c. 1944 .
Between 1944-1966These are the only pictures on record that show theinterior of the house after the 1944 renovation. Hereyou can see the change to the fireplace and relocatedstairs. Check out the television set! High Point Enterprise, c. 1966 High Point Enterprise, c. 1966
Between 1944-1966Modern plumbing was added to the house inthe 1944 renovation, and evidence of it stillexists in the upstairs today. All photos were taken by Allison Carithers
Between 1944-1966North elevation South elevation and Lexington Ave.; both photos, High Point Museum Records
In 1966, the High Point Historical Society along with historian John Bivins, Jr., became concerned that the Haley House would be destroyed and began working toward restoring and preserving this historic landmark. Work began in 1968. A High Point native, John Bivins worked for the Historic Sites Division of the North Carolina Department of Archives and History and also worked at Old Salem. The High Point Historical Society hired him to be in charge of the restoration of Haley House. He later became Director of Publications for the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA).
• 1968 restoration in progress – interior doorway Both photos from High Point Library Records
• 1968 restoration in progress – fireplaces Both photos from the High Point Library Records
1971-Present First Floor•stairs moved back to their originalposition in the northeast corner•the main fireplace was restored toits original size• the individual doors to the parlorswere removed•the single door to the parlor wasreplaced in the northwest chamber•the door to the southwest chamberwas replaced• the window on the east wall wasremoved & bricked up•the exterior door in the northwestchamber was removed & bricked up
walls were removed to 1971-Present create the open loft area as Second Floor in the original house the stairs were moved to their original placement in the northeast corner dormers were removed Plans by Allison Carithers
North elevation; Allison Carithers personal photo
The Matthew Moore House in Stokes County, NC, was built around the same time as Haley House and is very similar in design. The brick work is also similar. Further research needs to be completed to answer the question of whether the same builder constructed both houses.Notes and drawings by JohnBivins in the High PointMuseum records indicatethat he studied elements ofconstruction in theMatthew Moore Houseduring his restoration of theHaley House.
More information , plans, and pictures of the Matthew Moore House can be foundon the NC State University archives website.
The soapstone medallion that is on the west side of Haley House is very similar to the one that can be found at the Single Sisters House in nearby Old Salem. There is a possibility that this could indicate a similar stone carver, but further research needs to be conducted. Haley House Single Sisters HouseDetail West elevation; Allison Carithers personal photos
Above, North elevation; right, interior hall; lower right, South elevation;Allison Carithers personal photos
More plans, drawings, and pictures of the Haley House at the NC State University archives website. In 1967, a NC Historical Marker was placed at the corner of Lexington Avenue and McGuinn Drive. The Haley House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The nomination form can be found on the NC Historic Preservation Office website.