“You're only given one little spark of
madness. You mustn't lose it.”
- Robin Williams
Founder Karmas LLC
Copyright 2017 Karmas LLC
Inspire ✦ Be Inspired ✦ Create
Futurist & Innovator
CTO & Labs
Entrepreneur & Author
I am here to serve and inspire you today...
Hacks and Lessons
1.Hacking You: Why, Mindset, and Fun!
2.Co-founder Optional, but Help
3.Where’s the Business?
4.You Can (and Should) Bootstrap
7.Throwing the Book at It
8.Hacking Speed: Minimum Viable
9.Pay it Forward
Why, Mindset, and
Regular Day Job VS Day, Night, and Weekend Job
You need to love it, if you’re going to do it!
1. Quantity overcomes Rejection
• People: 5 positive - 1 negative = 0
• Startups: 1 YES per 100s of NOs
2. Failure -> Experiment and Learning
3. Growth Mindset -> There will be
obstacles but you can figure it out.
4. Focus: what and when
Entrepreneurship is hard! You better bring the Joy and Fun!!
Hypothesis: I can create value/serve people, have more fun, & meet my financial needs.
1. A business exists to serve / create
value for others.
2. Money is an artifact doing 1 well
3. Know your runway
4. Scrappiness = Happiness
5. Progress obliterates Anxiety
We all have limited resources and
unlimited resourcefulness.Learn to shake it off!!
• Lose 1 or 2 years of high
• Need to live cheap
• Have to get a job
“Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness
has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.” - Goethe
• Help many people
• Work on that Bucket List
• Learn a ton (10x + MBA)
• Own my destiny; More joy
• Earn Financial Freedom
• Research• Write
• Prototype• Blog
• Business Model
• Inbound Marketing
• Heroku, Restlet, Angular,
• Photoshop, Illustrator
• Publishing, Scrivener
Product + Fit + Marketing + Sales
Get Creative• Funding• Marketing
• Social – Buffer
• Mailing –
• Incorporate –
2. Eliminate, Prioritize, Plan
3. Offload – Automate and Delegate
4. Do - Learn, Systems, and Creativity
5. Reflect and Optimize
Elon Musk’s To-Do List
Solve Renewable Energy
1. Launch the biggest factory on
2. Redefine solar power and
1. Launch the new Tesla with
2. Get the first Hyperloop working
Create a Backup of Humanity
1. Make rockets reusable and get
2. Plan a colony on Mars.
Remember whatever you are doing, your to-do list is easier than...
but Help Required!
I get by with a little
help from my
You must have a cofounder to be funded.
Companies raising more than $10M
1 2 3 4 >= 5
Companies with a successful exit
1 2 3 4 >= 5
You can do it all yourself.
– Entrepreneurs with mentors raised 7x the
capital and grew 3.5x faster (Smartcuts).
• Task / Project Based Help
• Virtual Staff / Staff
– We all hope to grow big enough that we need
Know when to ask for help and be grateful.
Solopreneuring != Going it Alone
• Massive Quantity
• Quality Issues
• Humans haven’t
evolved to consume
Every 1.5 Years
• Cost versus Payoff
• Half Life of Knowledge
• Need Continuous Learning
Cost of a Degree: +1127% since 1978
• Workforce Engagement
• High Skill Shortage
• Med / Low Skill Overage
• Productivity and Creativity
• Need cheaper ways to
improve life situation
• Good versus Bad Automation
• Push to Freelancing and
Creating your own work.
87% Disengaged at
Almost any problem can be solved by learning,
doing, creating, and the right mindset.
Help people reach their potential faster.
Step 1: Research 100s of books, 1000s of articles, & many Courses
How to consume 10x information:
Words Per Minute -> Insights per Minute
• Right Content: Find -> Select ->
Deconstruct -> Sequence (material beats
• Layering: Description, Abstract, Talk, and
then Audiobook depending on insight
• Format: Video or Audio (forget speed
reading; accelerated format)
• Rate 1x to 3x: The max rate you can create
• ABCs: Always be Capturing, Connecting,
• Bonus: Always be researching. Have a
sentence about why you saved a link.
Pareto’s Law and the
power of selection
Step 2: ~400 pages of notes
Step 3: A Really Big MindMap
Step 4: Condense into 5 Infographics
• Machine Learning
Team / Project Management
Step 9: Looked at and used the Competition
Seven Questions for Disruption – Peter Thiel
1. Engineering Question – Discover the fastest, cheapest
ways of doing and learning.
2. Timing Question – Crisis in information, education, work,
3. Monopoly Question – Niche the market initially.
4. People Question – Using the crowd.
5. Distribution Question – Application through app stores.
Book through Amazon. Affiliates for content, courses,
automation, services, and mentoring.
6. Durability Question – People will always need to get
things done and learn.
7. Secret Question – Amplify people through automation
and delegation. This is the beginning of Jarvis.
You Can (and Should)
Bootstrap: Originated in 19th century US (particularly in the the phrase “pull oneself
over a fence by one’s bootstraps”), to mean an absurdly impossible action.
• The more investment you take the more it is like working for
someone else and the less potential rewards.
• You can make a much better funding deals once you show
• It is not as expensive as you think to start an online
business. In fact, you can get a lot for free.
• It reduces complexity. You can focus on satisfying your
customers and employees without worrying about what
• Multiple Revenue Streams help
– Book, Speaking, Service
• You need to plan your runway and manage expenses.
• You can do multiple campaigns
• Look at similar campaigns that were most
• Expect 2 months of prep for a 1 month
• You need a great video
• You need to do your own marketing
– People that will donate on the pre-launch
– People that will share the launch
– Ads and landing pages
• You need to line up some PR to write about it
• Have your updates ready pre-campaign.
• Back other projects!!!
Hack 5. Hacking Marketing
Start Marketing Early…
Marketing is user research…
K K K K
G G G G G G
My Social Landscape
G G G
What is the most important brand: you, your business, or
Hey you got all
content, blog it.
You create the businesses, and the business creates the
Getting the right audience…
1. Target: Characterize your customer…
2. Find: Find the people on twitter that have your
3. Steal: Steal their customers
• Look at their feed. Comment and like others
• Search for their hashtags and twitter handle
4. Get Trendy: Position messages that around what is
5. Get Live: Simultaneously tweet to live conferences
6. Automate: Save time and maximize your social
• Buffer, Mailchimp, Tweetful, Instagress
7. Blog Weekly: Learn Inbound Marketing.
8. Story: Tell your story. Share interesting stuff.
• SUCCESs – Simple, Unexpected, Credible,
Concrete, Emotional, Stories
10x my social media footprint in 3 months
300 -> 3k twitter followers (top 1%)
Create Content Concept Manual Delegate Automation
• Net Promoter Score, Tasks,
Project, Time Saved
• Time to Next Delight: Content,
Automate, Delegate, Systems
• Promote / Mentoring
• New Doing Paths
• New Learning Paths
• In App Chat
• Success Stories
• CTA Get App
• CTA Get Book
• Email Follow-up
• Social Follow-up
Marketing Tool Chain
People still like
What’s in a Name?
• Corporate Names
• Domain Names
• Social Accounts
LLC + EIN
• When should you incorporate?
– Taxes: Before the end of year 1 so you can deduct from your taxes
– Travel, Training, Cost of Goods, Development, Internet, Phone, Home…
– Investing: Retirement Advantages SEP-IRA (20% of income up to $54K and the
company can match)
– Name: To lock in a name
– Selling: You need to sell product and corporate protections.
• How should you incorporate?
– Going for VC funding
– Delaware C-Corp
– Double taxing (corporate + individual)
– LLC – Can be taxed like
– Sole Proprietorship (individual)
– S-Corp (individual + distributions (no SS or Med tax))
– C-Corp (corporate + individual)
• It’s a high class problem if you have to restructure to a C-Corp to
Websites made cheap and easy…
1. Dreamhost + Wordpress + Google
• Dreamhost: Free SSL, free email, and
free Wordpress hosting for the price of a
• Free: Google Analytics and Wordpress
2. Themeforest for cheap, powerful themes
• Salient or Be Theme are nice
3. Wordpress Must Have Plugins:
1. EWWW Image Optimizer
2. Google Analytics Dashboard
3. Really Simple SSL
4. Spam Protection by CleanTalk
5. WP Super Cache
6. Yoast SEO
4. Free Images: Pixabay, Unsplash, Google
5. Performance Testing: Pingdom,
1. List: Make a list of people whose endorsement
would help your launch. Include A and B players.
2. Write: Write a compelling general letter, keep it
short, and make it as easy as possible for them to
help. Provide something they value or speak to their
3. Customize: Customize for each person.
4. Connect: Hack your connections
– Guessing Email addresses is easier & more effective than you
– first.last or first
– @company_url, @gmail.com, @charity_url
– LinkedIn – just wait
5. Follow-up / Give Back: Make request and only one
follow up. Always offer to give back.
6. Create Extra Email Accounts: bookings@...
You need other
to look credible.
Hacking Networking on LinkedIn
1. Connect: Connect to everyone you meet in
person. You never know who you can help or who
can help you.
– People they interviewed, people they hire, etc.
2. Introduction: Linked in shows you all the people
that are connected to you and someone you are
trying to connect to.
3. Group Message: If you join a group that they are
part of you can group message them for free.
4. Follow Then Connect: If you follow people on
twitter and start commenting you can make an
introduction on LinkedIn more easily, especially if
they ever comment back.
Minimum Viable Desirable Product
V1 is about speed and cost
V2 is about architecture
V3 is about profit
V4 is about scale
Rough Angular Prototypes
Go with the
There is more
free and cheap
stuff. You’ll get
Rough Wizard of Oz Prototypes
API Design Tool Chain
REST API in
Restlet is the easiest
way to develop you
APIs and generate
Device HostedService Architecture
Nextmo, Twilio, Plivo,
AWS SNS, Tropo
• Google Calendar
• UI: Angular
• Chat: ?Candy-chat
• Storage: Html5 local
• Diagram: html5
• Charts: d3js.org
• XMPP Chat
easier to setup
than raw AWS.
Pay it Forward
If you are lucky enough to do well, it’s your responsibility to send the elevator back down.
- Kevin Spacey
In the spirit of making Phoenix the most generous
startup community in the World…
1. 25% off Potential: For Phoenix Startup
Week $19.99 -> $14.99
2. Mentoring: Help You get a Mentor
– Read Potential
– Send your 3 most important lessons
– Send me what you want from a mentor
– I will help find you a mentor or mentor you if we
are a fit (targeting mentoring 3 to 5 startups this
3. Investing in You: I believe in you, so if
you complete number 2…
– First 100 people will get a 100% refund on the
– That personally costs me 30% per book, but you
are worth it!!
I BELIEVE YOU HAVE POTENTIAL!!!
Think differently. Shock everyone.Do the impossible.
Inspire ✦ Be Inspired ✦ Create Amazing
Guy Bieber, Founder of Karmas LLC
When you need the Guy:
Copyright 2017 Karmas LLC
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.