The need for future-focused accountants has never been greater. In a recent national survey, 76 percent of small and mid-size business owners say their CPAs are not proactive, and 75 percent have changed firms because their CPAs are providing reactive services rather than proactive advice. Another recent survey found that only 6 percent of CFOs, controllers, and management accountants say they are future-ready and unable to deliver the game-changing value their organizations desperately need.
The urgency of the highly competitive marketplace and pace of technological change are fueling the demand for an “anticipatory” accounting and finance professional who can help businesses and organizations look through the windshield instead of the rearview mirror to see around corners.
The critical skills necessary to achieve this vision were identified as:
1. Communications – the ability to effectively exchange reliable and meaningful information using appropriate context and interpersonal skills.
2. Leadership – being adept at influencing, inspiring, and motivating others to facilitate change and achieve excellence.
3. Strategic and critical thinking – skills in evaluating facts, challenging assumptions and applying judgment to develop relevant solutions.
4. Anticipating and serving evolving needs – abilities in identifying strategic directions and opportunities to meet the evolving needs of those we serve.
5. Synthesizing intelligence to insight – expertise in connecting data, performing analysis and using business acumen to provide astute guidance for better decision making.
6. Integration and collaboration – effectiveness in building strategic alliances and working collaboratively to provide multidisciplinary solutions to complex problems.
We have spent years building our boxes – in my case, 33 years! Isn’t it time we get out of our boxes? What if we work with the younger generations to help us see new ways out of the box while we reinforce the core values and wisdom gained over our careers?
Our Business Learning Institute can help design a curriculum that equips your accounting/finance professionals with these critical success skills in multiple formats - instructor-led, webcast, on-demand and our newest transformational learning project with Daniel Burrus called the Anticipatory Organization: Accounting and Finance Edition... for more info http://www.blionline.org