3 VC Backed
Speakeasy (Bessemer & Salesforce backed)
TicketLeap (Acq. Patron)
AL Systems (Acq. SDI)
12m users in 18 months by adding
“get your free email at Hotmail” at
the bottom of each email
Jumpstarted growth by
cross posting to craigslist
w/o open API
Everyone’s looking for a silver bullet
“It’s important to reason from first principles rather than by
analogy. [With analogy] we are doing this because it’s like
something else that was done, or it is like what other people are
doing. [With first principles] you boil things down to the most
fundamental truths… and then reason up from there.”
- Elon Musk, CEO, Tesla & SpaceX
You’re not ready to grow yet, if
1. No Ideal Customer. People don’t come to your
product to get a specific job done
2. Poor Retention. People don’t keep coming back to
your product anytime they want to get that job done
Tip #1 Set aggressive goals
$250,000 revenue in 3 months
Tip #2 Start by serving one audience
exceptionally well, with one product or service
Focus will give your messaging clarity that will lift the
conversion and performance of your marketing activities
1. Who are your customers?
2. What are the key jobs they’re trying to do?
3. What are the smaller/ sub-jobs?
4. How do they do those jobs today?
5. What are the unnecessary steps? How can you
6. What does the delighted state look like?
Tip #4 Nail 1 or 2 channels
“If you can get even a single distribution channel to
work, you have a great business. If you try for several,
but don’t nail one, you’re finished. So it’s worth
thinking real hard about nailing one channel.”
- Peter Thiel, Cofounder, PayPal & top VC
1. Brainstorm a few channels
2. Prioritize based on impact
and ease of execution
3. Split test
4. Double down on what works
Tip #5 Get users to an “Aha” moment right away
Users should complete the core action they came to your
product for, without any friction
Tip #6 Make your product sticky
The more I use your product, the better it gets or the more I
use your product, the more I lose if I were to leave
The more notes you add, the more value you get and
the harder it is to leave
New followers/ follows + your investment in your
identity makes it sticky
1. Pick an aggressive goal
2. Understand your customers’ jobs to be done
3. Validate your idea by charging for it
4. Focus on 1-2 distribution channels at a time
5. Once you acquire users, get them to an “Aha
moment” right away
6. Make your product sticky
Don't focus on funding. Focus on building a great product
that people want to use & pay for. The funding will follow
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.