A general look at the process of moving Ruby on Rails application from a dedicated server into a cloud environment. Marcin presents the details about the old solution: its architecture, drawbacks, and challenges.
- ongoing Ruby on Rails application with a huge technical debt
- based on many services like Sidekiq, Postfix, MySQL, Passenger, Nginx,
- and everything hosted in one instance
7. Not really...
- the solution is not reliable and requires monitoring and maintenance
- no backups for storage, config files
- no portability
- installing new libs was painful
- at the company, we don’t deal with the server management
- no documentation from the previous developers