Se ha denunciado esta presentación.
• There are four questions that can be used
as an error-monitoring strategy.
• The letters COPS would be a Cue to
detect four kinds of common errors.
C – Capitalization (Did I capitalize the first
word and proper nouns?)
2. Proper nouns
3. Beginning of sentences
O – Overall appearance ( Have I used spacing, legibility, neatness,
indention of paragraphs and complete sentences?)
1. spaces between words and double spaces between lines
2. neat printing/ writing /typing
3. paragraphs are indented
4. paragraphs follow the model
5. complete sentences used
P – Punctuation (Have I used commas,
semicolons, and end punctuation
1. proper end marks
3. semi-colons, colons, quotation marks,
and hyphens as required
S – Spelling (are the words spelled
• 1. Use tools such as lists, word walls,
dictionaries, word study notebooks, and
spell check technology.
• Reread the each sentence four times, each time
concentrating on one of the four points in COPS.
• This COPS strategy can assist in organizing the
editing in today’s lesson.
• It focuses on different aspects of the writing and
helps look for errors in various criteria areas
while working through the editing process.
• 1. For proofreading own writing after completion
of a rough draft.
• 2. For checking each other's work before
handing in an assignment.
• 3. For checking group work after each draft.
• 4. For proof-reading essay exam questions.
1. After you have written a rough
draft of a sentence, paragraph
or essay, you will exchange
work in order to COPS each
**the yelow cat run through bens house and made
the little Girl fall down?
Using the four steps, lets look at this sentence for
errors and correct them together.
Now, lets look at your completed assignment and
use this strategy to make any corrections.
COPS is a great strategy to encourage
proof-reading and looking for
The result is good constructive editing
as well as error-monitoring that
improves the overall writing skills.