1. NGN Architecture & Interworking Issues ICN CP SE NSR [email_address] Asia-Pacific Telecommunity Workshop on Next Generation Networks 8 August 2003, Seoul, Republic of Korea
5. Mapping of Value Chain on Network Components value chain A monolithic carrier structure typically corresponds a clearly defined, simple user interface. NT customer premise (metro-) access (metro-) core gateways, incl. RAS long haul Media Gateway Control, application servers User I/F Contents Contents provisioning Applications and service control Routing and Switching Connectivity services IAD PBX
6. Fragmented Network Landscape in Deregulated Markets In deregulated markets, even simple services involve a multitude of networks and interfaces. NT customer premise (metro-) access (metro-) core gateways, incl. RAS long haul Media Gateway Control, application servers value chain User I/Fs : Network interface, mostly based on Service Level Agreements – SLA – Contents IAD PBX Contents provisioning Applications and service control Routing and Switching Connectivity services
9. Transition from ATM to Ethernet Access Customer premise Line Multiplexing Edge Backbone Access Aggregation IAD Service-aware DSLAM Edge Router IAD Internet Access Utilization of MPLS Label Switched Paths instead of ATM PVCs. Label Edge Router Traffic aggregation based on Ethernet One Label Switched Path per service Ethernet DSLAM Eth. Switch Media Gateway Controller Trunk Gateway Video Server Voice Service (TDM-like) Internet Service (Best effort-like) Video Service (Streaming-like) ATM/DSL or Ethernet/DSL
12. Example for Peer-to-Peer challenge Who's selling the services with SIP? PER IP PER LAN IP IP SIP Phone DSL Modem DSL Modem SIP SIP SIP Call data IP IP IP Connectivity Applications Presence IM MyService 3 rd party appli- cations Session Control Layer Security, Authentication DSL Modem Network Layer SIP Proxy Server SIP Proxy Server AS SIP MM PC MM PC
13. End-to-end Business Relations IP network 1 IP Host e.g. phone MM PDA PC Mobile SIP phone . . IP network 2 IP network x SLA SLA Service Provider A E2E business relation Service Provider B Missing Link: Clearing and authorization!