• Data Dictionary
• Use of Data Dictionary
• Elements of Data Dictionary
• Data Dictionary Analysis
• Importance of Data Dictionary
Page 2 out of 8
3. Data Dictionary
• Data dictionary is a structured repository of data about data
• It is a reference work of metadata.
• It is one of the main method for analyzing the data flows and data
stores of a system.
Page 3 out of 8
4. Use of Data Dictionary
Data dictionary is use to:
• Simplify the structure for meeting the data requirements.
• Create reports, screens, and forms.
• Generate computer program source code.
• Analyze the system design for completion and to detect design
Page 4 out of 8
5. Elements of Data Dictionary
Data Dictionary contains
• Data flow- is a path of data from source document to data entry to process
• Data structures-are a group of smaller structures and elements represented
by algebraic notation.
• Elements- such as, descriptive information, length and type of data
information, validation criteria and default values.
• Data stores-contain a minimal of all base elements as well as many derived
Page 5 out of 8
6. Data Dictionary Analysis
Data dictionary should be tied into other programs in the system that
when an item is updated or deleted from the data dictionary it is
automatically updated or deleted from the whole data flow or system.
Data dictionary allows to record the standard pieces of information
about elements in one project, and it makes that information
accessible to many parts of a it.
Page 6 out of 8
7. Importance of Data Dictionary
• Documentation- it is a valuable reference in any organization.
• It improves analyst/user communication by establishing consistent
definitions of various elements, terms and procedures
• It is important step in building a database and design whole system.
Page 7 out of 8