idea to an original iPhone application
in the App Store in 8 weeks
• We announced the program on May 4
• 352 applications in 3 weeks
• The youngest applicant was 10 years old
• The oldest one was 58 years old
• We admitted 45 students
• Age range: 14-28 y.o.
1. Programming (iOS development): Objective C,
Xcode, git, Parse, etc.
2. Mobile design: UI/UX. Building products people
fall in love with.
3. Traction / growth: getting to the ﬁrst 1,000 users,
19 marketing channels used by the most popular
Almas Tuyakbayev, 28
• HCI, Carnegie Mellon University.
• Head of the Media Lab at IITU.
• Microsoft Imagine Cup World Finals
Bakytzhan Baizhikenov, 26
• Education: London School of Economics,
University of London.
• International Olympiad in Informatics: Gold
2007, Silver 2008, Bronze 2005, 2006.
• Software Engineer, imo.im (2012-2013).
• Founder, Intellection & Crozdesk.com.
Zhanserik Kenes, 21
• BSc, International IT University.
• Built 8 apps: Being Beethoven,
Persimmon, SafeCity, National Bank
of Kazakhstan, Springfruit, Shopster,
Daulet Kenzhetayev, 21
• iOS/Android development
• CS, Nazarbayev University ‘2017 (on leave)
• Built LonelyKeanu, Kelin (Android)
Nurdaulet Bolatov, 17
• iOS development
• Built Syntle.com, Zero Willpower
• 1st place at IV Eurasian Informatics Olympiad
• 3rd place at 13th All-Russian Team Informatics
• Kazakh-British Technical University ‘2018
• BSc, University of Minnesota Twin Cities
• Built 6 apps: Seansy.kz, Kogershin,
Metio, Galileo, Instamaniac, Never
• Created popular time lapse videos:
• CEO, ZeroToOneLabs.com
• MSE, Computer Science, Princeton University
• Past: founding team, Collections (YC S12)
• ACM ICPC World Finals 2009, 2011
• “The Art of Startup” (Nazarbayev University),
Some of the apps we built before/outside of the
Being Beethoven: the to-do list of effective daily habits from the
world’s top performers: Audrey Hepburn, Tim Ferriss, Tony
Persimmon: reach your medium-term goals in 7
areas of your life through the power of
visualization / afﬁrmations and small daily steps.
Seansy - movie theaters and showtimes in KZ.
Instamaniac - ﬁnd out how early you
• 5-6 products a year
• The multiplication effect
• The best ideas coming from the students
On the Demo Day we received personal video addresses from :
• Vinod Khosla, founder, Sun Microsystems, Khosla Ventures
• David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of Ruby on Rails, co-
founder / CTO of Basecamp, author of “Rework”
• Tony Hsieh, CEO Zappos, ‘Delivering Happiness’
• Wendy Kopp, founder of 'Teach for America’
• Brian Kernighan, author of "The C Programming Language";
Unix, AWK, AMPL
• Qi Lu, Executive Vice President, Microsoft, leads the
development of Bing, Skype & Microsoft Ofﬁce
• Gregory Olsen, 3rd space tourist in history; founder, Sensors
• Frank Chen, venture capitalist, Andreessen Horowitz
Чи Лю,вице-президент Microsoft, возглавляющий Bing, Skype & Microsoft Oﬃce.
In the summer 2015 at TheSummerStartupSchool.com
we created 37 applications sent to the App Store.
Kelin - the mobile only anonymous social network for
women. 145,000 users, 115,000 ‘secrets’ in 4 months
since launch. #1 app in the KZ App Store. http://bit.ly/Kelin
BulBul - the encyclopedia of Kazakh music: lyrics,
news, ‘guess the song’ game, etc.
Never Drink Alone - one meeting a day with the most talented
people in your hometown.
Kairosh - Shazam for 160 songs by Kairat Nurtas.
KanjiNinja - Fruit Ninja style game to learn 2,000
Kinza - recipes from what you have in the fridge.
LonelyKeanu - express your emotions with the relevant celebrity
reactions via WhatsApp.
StartCode.it - the easiest way to learn web development (HTML,
Camellia - Uber for ﬂowers in Almaty and Astana
Dilemma - answer ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to interesting questions and see
the public reaction.
Syntle - the easiest way to learn programming language syntax
Finchler - one movie recommendation a day based on the result
of your personality test.
"NAN" - delightfully simple shopping list app
Kitapp - buy and sell used books from your phone.
Toybastar - the best wedding photographers and MCs.
Critics: But all you’re doing is building fun apps?
Us: “What the hackers do on the weekend is what
everyone else will do during the week in ten years”. -
The stages of the tech startup: idea -> mockup -
> prototype -> program -> product -> business -
Critics: “Why can’t you learn this online?”
Our reply: “Online education (Khan Academy, Coursera, Udacity, Udemy, edX, iTunes U) doesn’t
solve all the problems: 7% completion rate. Students lack self-discipline, peer pressure and
creative energy from the like-minded people around” .