Meet the Facilitator:
• First Nations Cree
• Ph.D. student, University of
• Managing Editor,Two-Spirit
• Co-founder and former
director, NorthEast Two-
• Two-Spirit consultant
• Advisor, Presidential
Advisory Council on
• Today you will hear from parents of Indigenous Two-
Spirit, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQQ youth
• Parents will share about personal experiences in
their efforts to support their Two-Spirit children:
– Struggles, challenges, successes, and triumphs with
families, communities, and tribes
– Insight and recommendations for how tribal communities,
families, allies, and regional and national systems can
improve and increase support for Two-Spirit citizens
The Paths We Have Walked
• Share about yourself and your amazing child(ren).
• What is your biggest accomplishment or success
as a parent?
• What is/are your biggest challenge(s) as a parent?
– How have you handled these challenges?
• Share about any experiences and interaction
with your community and family.
Soaring with the Eagles
• In your journey with your child who is Two-
Spirit, gender non-conforming, or LGBTQQ,
what are some supports and resources that
have assisted you and your family?
– You might consider support in the realms of
spiritual, family, community, health, education,
advocacy, and service.
• Do you have suggestions for improvement to
these supports and resources?
Sharing Our Strength
What would you like to share with those
– Parents of Two-Spirit children looking for
inspiration and affirmation
– Mental and behavioral health service providers
– Tribal nations and tribal community members
– Allies of the Two-Spirit and LGBTQQ populations
– Policy makers: tribal, state, and federal
Thank You for Joining Us for
• Would you like to highlight any Two-Spirit efforts or
successes occurring in your community or tribe?
– If so, please see Harlan’s contact information on the
• Part 2: June 21, 2016, 1:00–2:30 p.m. Eastern
• Part 3: July 19, 2016, 1:00–2:30 p.m. Eastern
– Topics to be announced soon!
Lucy Smartlowit-Briggs, Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation
Robin Steininger, mother of Nathen Steininger
Tammy Valdez, Sicangu Lakota
Harlan Pruden, First Nations Cree, Managing Editor, Two-Spirit Journal
Panel: Parents of Indigenous
Tribal Training and Technical Assistance Center
We will be sending out a brief participant
feedback questionnaire shortly after the
webinar. We greatly appreciate any input you
are willing to provide. Thank you for attending