The Study of Humanities
The Origin and Meaning of Humanities
- The term “humanities” originated from the Renaissance Latin expression
studia humanitatis or study of humanitas.
- refers to culture, refinement, education.
- consists of grammar,rhetoric, poetry, history, and moral philosophy.
Meaning and Importance of Art
- Art is a subject under humanities.
- art is subjective in the sense that people differ in the perception of an
object or thing. Others may see it as beautiful and meaningful while others
see it as ugly or meaningless .
- Art is man-made, not God-made
- Art is creative, not imitative
- Art benefits and satisfies man – when he uses art in practical life
through artistic principles, taste and skill.
- Art is expressed through a certain medium or material by which the
artist communicates himself to his fellows.
The Importance of Art to
- Plays a valuable role to students.
1. Through participation in arts – music , dance, drama, media arts, and visual arts.
-students can develop their creativity
- students learn about their identity
- students develop self-awareness
- students develop self-confidence
- students develop sense of well-being
2. Through intense involvement in artistic activities.
- students experience sense of wonder and joy when learning through the arts
- students can be motivated to participate more fully in cultural life
- students are able to gain educational opportunities which they can use later in their
Meaning and Importance of Art
is the ability to interpret and understand man-made arts and enjoy them .
is the possession of the works of art for one’s admiration and satisfaction.
refers to the knowledge and understanding of the general and everlasting
qualities that classify all great arts.
the introduction and exploration of visual and performing art forms.
is the analysis of the form of an art work to general audience to enhance
their enjoyment and satisfaction of works of art.
Personal preference on art appreciation depends on :
1. the aesthetics and form of art
2. elements and principles of design
3. social and cultural acceptance
Art History – refers to the historical
development and stylistic context of the
objects of arts that includes the major and
minor arts .
- painting, sculpture and architecture
- ceramics, furniture , other decorative arts.
Methods Used in Art History
1. Art historians examine the works of art in the context of it’s time or within which it was
2. Art historians analysis focuses on the artist’s use of line ,shape, color, texture,
composition and other art elements.
The two dimensional and three-dimensional picture plans are two approaches in creating
• representational art – if the artist copy or imitate an object or image found in nature.
• non representational art- if the artist creates an art in a realistic manner, rely on
symbolism or striving to capture nature’s essence.
Impressionism is an example of representation style that is produced when the artwork
was not directly imitative but an impression of nature.
Expressionism is non representational but the expression of the artist’s feelings ,
longings, aspirations, and ideals of beauty and form.
3. Art historians also use critical theory in analyzing objects of arts when
dealing with more recent objects.
4. Another method is the application of media and digital technology , it’s the
recent method in analyzing art history.
Purpose of Art History
- to place art in a social and historical context.
- has more advantage over art appreciation when evaluating works. The
more information, the better the evaluation he can make over the works of art.
- when the person has more context, the better he could understand more
of the story behind the particular piece of art work.
- to see how things like war , religion, politics, technological change the
effect not only on the artist but on the artwork that was produced.
Assumption of Art
Art is universal
-it is the oldest and most important means of expression developed by man in
-arts has been created by all people of the world at all times has lived
because it is liked and enjoyed.
-the element and forms of art applys all arts everywhere.
Art is culture
-art contributes to the understanding of past and present cultures.
-people learn about their culture values and strengthen their culture identity.
-the artist work such as painting sculpture music dances ceramics prime and
others are records of their society culture.
Art is not nature
-art is not nature because it is man made.
-nature is such as the mountain the volcano lakes rivers land terrain are made
-thus art and not nature is made by man by all times.
-Art is an expression of the mind
-According to jeff lee (2016) art is a form of expression of the deepest emotion of the mind.
-According to the egoic mind (conscious mind) and the echix mind (unconscious mind) together
making up the totality of thinking.
-artistic expression may be expressed 100% in conscious mind but those are extremely artistic
or right-brained individual they may be more creative because of their frequent practice.
Art is a form of creativity
-artist create artwork about anything they want imagine or see around them.
-color expresses the artist personal feelings and moods.
-the artist choice of coleR expresses the beauty and elegance of the artist work and also
feeling the artist has at that moment.
-he does all this as a consequence of his creative mind and imagination.
Art involves experience
-when works is finished in a satisfactory manners an experience occurs.
-fulfillment and consummation of an act conclude the experience.
-artist use their experience to ventilate their feeling through the works that they make.
-they reflect in their work on the brink of socio-cultural problems because of their experience.
-emotion is the moving and cementing force of this artwork.
The expression of the artist are shown in the way they express their feelings toward their
Functions and philosophy of art
The function of art
-some find meaning in art in its ability serve the purpose for which it was
- music and dance were used in ancient rituals worship of the gods for social
and folk entertainment as well as in the painting and sculpture may be used
to narrate events to portray people events to instruct (as in the case of
Christian art) to commemorate individuals or historical events and to serve as
vehicles of personal expression.
-each of these examples is made some definite and specific use.
The seven(7) function of art
-through art man becomes conscious of beauty of nature.
-with a creation of the various forms of a man now lives in comfort and happiness.
-through the printed matter art transmits and preserves skills and knowledge from
one generation to another.
-through civic and graphic arts man learns and help each other.
-art reinforces and enhances a sense of identify any ideological connection to
specific poitical view political parties and politicians.
-there are art symbols and sign to illustrate knowledge and attitudes that are not
expressed in word
-some art work express spiritual beliefs customs ceremonies and ritual about the
meaning and destiny of life.
Philosophy of art
Art as mimesis
-the word minesis is a Greek word which means imitation or copying although it
may also mean representation.
-plato believed that all artistic creation is a mimesis.
-aritotle speak of tragedy as ana imitation of an action that of a man falling from
a higher to a lower estate.
Art as representation (Aristotle)
-art represents something when an artist uses signs and symbol to take the place
of something else he is using art as a representation of such signs and symbols.
-signs and symbol are arranged in order to form semantic construction and express
relations with the other things.
Art for arts sake (kant)
-artist assiociated with aestheticism believes that art needs no justification .
-art does not serve political didactic or other hand.
-kant pointed out that what he meant by beauty is not the form of thwe beautiful
but about taste.
Art as an escape
-according to allen Weinstein without mental escape we build up a lot of
anxiety within ourselves.
-unfortunately such anger and hatred are often taken out on tne wrong
-they are a cathartic solution to one anxiety and life difficulties.
Art as functional
-the artist intent in creating a functional piece of art is to bring creativity
beauty and usefulness into people everyday lives.
-whether it a curvy chair made cardboard a bance made of paper functional
art makes us rethink and re assess the way we look at ordinary things
sometimes by using unusual material in their construction .