LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
come in 3 forms
new and innovative ways to
disrupt traditional business
infrastructure & integration
cheaper and more eﬀicient
ways to build
plays an increasingly large and
important role in all three.
Drupal fits many of these
Drupal is a global phenomenon that can
create massive opportunity for anyone that
uses it, delivers it or builds a business on it.
Drupal is unique in that it
is both widely accessible
and enterprise focused
Drupal is about to release
its greatest version yet
CMS is moving from a software tool to edit websites to
an enabler of Digital experiences – a framework that
supports and enforces the standards, interfaces, best
practices for development for the products it creates.
Top 100k sites - Drupal is the second largest CMS
Top 10k sites - Drupal & Adobe jump up
1. Community Innovation
3. Full control of platform
4. Open & Transparent
Why is open source winning?
‣ Think in terms of total cost of ownership (TCO) not
‣ All software has implementation and
‣ Cost is a competitive advantage - not a BRAND
‣ Don’t undersell the value
Cost is a lower criteria for adoption
but it matters.
3How will Drupal 8 become the
dominant open source CMS
leading these changes?
Drupal 8 leading the change
Other proprietary CMS’s
won’t be able to keep pace…
Drupal 8 is heavily focused on enterprise /
larger and more complex use cases. But
remains a viable and appropriate tool for
smaller and simpler sites as well.
That flexibility is an advantage for dev
shops and enterprise organizations!
Top D8 Advantages
With D8 we will see Drupal used as both a content
repository, a workflow and site building tool and to
create user experiences.
Or in diﬀerent combinations.
‣ Built-in web services
‣ Content is optimized for
‣ Over 25 services
‣ Improved Theming (using Twig)
‣ Better Markup (HTML5/CSS3)
‣ SEO (RDFa/Schema.org)
‣ Accessibility (WAI)
‣ Front end performance
‣ Core multilingual installer
‣ Infinite flexibility and
control of translation for
everything in the admin and
on the site
‣ 4 consolidated modules do
With multilingual built into D8 core, Drupal is addressing
the fact that the world is becoming smaller, and we
interact with people online from all over the world.
‣ In place editing
‣ Views in Core
‣ New and improved admin
‣ Content as a service-
allows for Headless Drupal
‣ Content object centric
‣ Symfony and object oriented
‣ Configuration management
‣ Automated testing
‣ Mobile first UI
‣ Mobile friendly navigation
the rapid pace
What can we do as a community
to stay on top of
The key is ensuring that we
have a thriving community of
What are the threats to Drupal Adoption?
‣ Demand outweighs supply of global talent
‣ Professionalism is comparatively low
‣ Training is less available than other
‣ Open source resistance still exists
The Drupal Community is becoming
larger, more professional,
more diverse, and more
3 Global Drupalcons
including DrupalCon in India next
Photo by: Tanay Sai
It’s not just the coders
Events (like this one!)
Pretty Drupal sites
High profile Drupal sites
Innovative uses (of Drupal)
Social media chatter
opportunity for small ones
Big companies are an
• They invest in a platform and its future
• Create jobs and develop talent
• Lend credibility to a technology
• Attract big customers!
Partnerships and M&A
We are seeing businesses joining up and also acquisitions. And there will be more…
1. Products companies must emerge
2. Services companies should spread out and specialize
3. Profitable business models must co-exist with open
4. We need more businesses @ scale
5. Success must spread globally
6. All ecosystem players should work together to patch
healthy business ecosystem
Key tenets of a
is essential to the Drupal ecosystem
82% of hiring managers surveyed
plan to hire Drupal talent within
the next 6 months.
40% of hiring managers surveyed
say they are “constantly” hiring
HIRING PLANS “CONSTANT” HIRING MODE
Front End | Content Strategy | Core | Integrations | DevOps
be on the cutting edge
92% of hiring managers surveyed
say there is insuﬀicient Drupal talent
in the market to meet their needs.
MORE DRUPAL TALENT IS NEEDED
Hiring managers say they are currently
trying to fill many types of Drupal roles.
MANY JOBS, MANY ROLES
Content Strategist or Admin
find a way to get noticed.
Photo by: Steven Depolo
What makes someone unique?
‣ Solution specialization
‣ Industry specialization
‣ Services specialization
‣ Geographic dominance
‣ Product/distro makers
‣ Community thought leadership
• Configuration management
• QA and testing
• Project management
Giving back is good business too.
Insisting on contribution
• Build it into the jobs of internal digital teams
• Emphasize contribution
• Make reusable architectures
• Celebrate contributions
COMPANIES THAT PRACTICED THIS HAVE SUCCEEDED IN DRUPAL
successful Drupal business?
What is the recipe for a
successful Drupal business?
What is the recipe for a
1. Leverage Drupal’s popularity for lead generation
2. Master services / deliver them successfully
3. Corner specific niches for competitive advantage
4. Invest in new business models and thinking
around using Drupal (products, pricing, etc.)
5. Share, teach, learn, contribute
6. Rinse and repeat...