LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
Achieving Academic Excellence
by Mr. O.B. Sanni
In order to cope with the rapidity with which knowledge
itself changes, today’s student must seek to achieve
Proverbs 22vs 29 1peter 2; 9
Seeth thou a man diligent in his business? He shall stand
before kings; he shall not stand before mean men
What does it mean to achieve something? Or what is
in a lay man dictionary achievement means the action of
accomplishing something, or something that is achieved
What is academic
• Academic excellence is the demonstrated ability to
perform, achieve, and/or excel in scholastic
activities. Academic excellence has been identified
with achieving high grades and superior
• But academic excellence is more than just making good
grades. It is the maximum development of your
intellectual capacities and skills in service to
Achieving academic excellence is a process of both formal
and informal education. Indeed, education is a limitless and
unending process to be enjoyed for a lifetime.
As you continue your academic career, consider the
following suggestions which can help you achieve
• Select a major which has a strong basic curriculum as a
course of study.
• Complete a strong liberal arts and science background in
addition to your major field of study. Learn from other
• Learn from your students- 4th mainland bridge- eko and
• Learn to use the library and use it often, since it offers a
wealth of historical and current information which can
greatly enhance your classroom experiences and your
• Develop self-confidence, persistence and leadership
• Develop an attitude of social responsibility and an
understanding of cultural and intellectual differences.
• Participate in honors and enrichment programs. Surf the
internet for online programmes that will enrich your
credentials. E.g. ALISON
• Select friends who are dedicated and are serious about
they do in their chosen careers. Don’t just be a friend with
mediocre rather choose your friends wisely.
• Learn efficient management of your time. Stop
procrastination as much as possible
• Participate in summer enrichment programs such as,
summer research programs, or internships.
• Attend lectures, concerts, art exhibits, theatrical
performances, seminars, and other cultural activities
• Get involved in a club or activity directly related to your
major as a means of meeting other colleagues, faculty and
professionals in your study area.
• Seek opportunities to work with professors on special
projects in a research or teaching area of interest.
• BARRIERS TO ACHIEVING ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
• Individual Risk Factors
• Low self-esteem
• Academic Performance
• Student Behaviors
• Adult Responsibilities
• Family Influence
• Socioeconomic Status
• Family Structure
• Socio-cultural Values
• Family Mobility
• Parenting Effects
• High School Effects
• Location and School Type
• Student Demographics
• Academic Policies and Practices
• Graduation Requirements
• School Structure Size and Organization
What are the benefits of achieving
• Making a meaningful contribution to society throughout
• Receiving academic scholarships.
• Selection for membership in professional and honor
• Admission to graduate or professional schools.
• Being competitive in the job market.
• Selection for competitive academic programs such as
summer enrichment programs or other special studies
programs during your undergraduate or postgraduate
• Being in a position to be of service to those with whom you