• What are Metamorphic Robots ?
• Modularity and Morphology.
• Modular Self-Reconfigurable Robots.
• Changing the Shape.
• Locomotion of the robots.
• Future Improvements.
• Collection of Independently Controlled Mechatronic modules.
• Ability to Connect, Disconnect and Climb over adjacent modules.
• Same physical Structure.
• Electromechanical Connectors between the Modules.
• Degree of freedom.
• Symmetry in mechanical Structure.
• Computational and Communication functionality.
MSR (MODULAR SELF RE-CONFIGURING ROBOT)
• Modular self-reconfigurable (MSR) robots are robots
composed of a large number of repeated modules that can
rearrange their connectedness to form a large variety of
• The modules are designed to have a regular “Hexagonal” structure.
Because of the hexagonal shape the modules completely fill the plan
without any gaps.
• Each module has “Two” connection
plates which attaches the adjacent
modules physically and electrically.
• It has 2 photodiodes and 4 LED’s
which determines the relative 6 DOF
and orientation of mating plate.
HOW DO THEY CHANGE SHAPE
• Self reconfigure system consists of cells and Digital Hormones.
• Digital hormones are released from cells and captured by
receptors of neighboring cells.
• They are propagated from high to low density space and stops
when density is below threshold.
• There are three ways for locomotion:
1) Single Module motion
2) Multiple module motion
3) Fixed Morphology motion.
• Single module motion takes place by locomotion of modules around each
other while remaining connected to each other at all times This can also
be described as the rolling of one module over others.
1) Obstacle avoidance in highly constrained and unstructured
2) Growing structures composed of modules to form bridges buttresses
and other civil structures in times of emergency.
3) Performing inspections in constrained environments such as nuclear
4) Space Exploration- envelopment of objects such as recovering satellites
from space .
• Problem of recognizing and choosing useful configurations.
• Communication between the modules is complex and not easy to attain.
• Being dependent and independent simultaneously is a challenge for the
• Currently, all the modules are controlled by a host computer in
a central manner to perform previously planned motions.
• Automatic and more efficient motion planning that is currently
• Improvement of connection and motion mechanism for more
reliable motion Improvement of connection and motion
mechanism for more reliable motion.
• Implementing a distributed control system where each module
decides its action in an autonomous way
• Metamorphic robots are a revolutionary robotic technology that
could greatly enhance human capabilities in space and enable a
new range of scientific activities and planetary exploration.
• It opens the possibility of constructing robots that can change
their shape and functionality, affording extreme adaptability to
new tasks and changing environmental constraints.
• At a more advanced stage, this technology could allow for
autonomous reconfiguration based on the concept of “Digital
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.