6. • Approx. 90%of systemic disease have
links to oral health.
• People who have periodontal disease
double their risk to fatal heart attack.
• Infection in mouth increases risk of
• Diabetes with periodontal disease have
more difficulty in controlling blood sugar
7. TOOTH DECAY “CARIES”
• Broadly caries are of 3 types
1. Pit and Fissure caries.
2. Smooth surface caries.
3. Cervical caries.
4. Nursing bottle caries.
8. Mechanism of tooth decay.
Bacteria in the presence of sugary substance
produce acid that causes demineralization of
9. Enamel is affected first, as decay continues it
reaches to dentin and then to pulp.
• Saved by filling. • Needs RCT
11. • Is an advanced stage of periodontal
disease in which the ligaments and bones
that support the teeth become inflamed
• If left untreated, resulting bone loss could
cause loosening and the eventual loss of
• Infected gum recedes.
• Plaque and Ca++ continue to increase.
• Pockets become infected.
• Bone loss starts.
• Periodontal disease causes 70% of tooth
• It affects 3 out of 4 people .
13. Causes of periodontal disease.
• Lack of daily ,complete oral hygiene.
• Broken fillings/teeth.
• Misaligned/crowded teeth.
• A poorly balanced diet.
• Systemic disease.
14. Symptoms of periodontal disease.
• Red ,puffy gums.
• Gum tenderness[pain]
• Gum that bleed during brushing.
• Persistent bad breath.[halitosis]
• Shifted/loosened teeth.
20. Replacement of tooth loss.
EDENTULISM- Loss of one or more teeth.
Restore it by-
• RPD[Removal partial denture.]
• FPD[Fixed partial denture.]
• CD[Complete denture.]
• Prosthesis – obturator.
• Is a bad breath and is a common problem
that can be a source of embarrassment.
• Some bacteria in your mouth may
produce gaseous compounds that cause
• Bad breath is often found in people with
periodontal diseases, including gum
abscesses and mouth sores.
24. Teeth Brushing Technique
What is the right way to brush-
• Proper brushing takes at least 2 min.
• Use short gentle strokes.
• Make a 45 degree angle between
brush and tooth surface .
• Clean the outer surface of upper
teeth , then lower teeth .
• Clean the chewing surface.
• Make sure to brush your tongue
27. Antiseptic effect
Chlorhexidine Glouconate is a chemical
antiseptic which kill bad microorganism.
Combats both gram positive and gram negative
It binds to soft and hard tissues in the mouth,
enabling it to act over a long period.
It is both bacteriostatic and bactericidal.
Chlorhexidine glouconate can thus be used to
improve bad breath.
28. Cooling Sensation
it has local anesthetic and counterirritant
provides fresh breath.
Alleviates painful conditions such as gum
disease and mouth ulcers
Used as gargle for the treatment of thrush,
tonsillitis, inflamed sinuses, nose, mouth,
throat, and larynx.
29. Prevent dental caries
Enhances the strength of teeth by the
formation of florapatite, a naturally
occurring component of tooth enamel
shows a high antimicrobial effect when
combined with chlorhexidine specially
against mutans streptococci.
30. Analgesic-anti inflammatory
The active component of clove is eugenol as
essential oil. Eugenol possess antibacterial (against
Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus mutans,
Pseudomonus, E.coli, Candida albicans), antiviral
and antifungal properties.
It has also anti-inflammatory properties and can
relieve the pain (eg. toothache) by its anaesthetic
action to sensory receptors.
31. Dedorizing action
• is a (sugar alcohol) that is used as a sweetening
agent in various food products, I ncluding:sugar-
free sweets andchewing gum.
• Like all polyols, sorbitol is non-cariogenic, meaning
it is not metabolized by oral bacteria which break
down sugars and starches to release acids that
may lead to cavities or the erosion of tooth enamel.
• Sorbitol has a moisturizer effect and deodorizing
32. Cooly Mouth wash
• The best effective formula for máximum
dental protection .
• Powerful anti bacterial effect
• Powerful anti inflammatory effect.
• Provide fresh breath
• Prophyalctic for healthy gum
• Rapid onset of action.
• Safe for diabetic patient
33. Routine daily care for oral hygiene.
Painful infections and inflammatory lesions
of the oral mucosa in Gingivitis
,periodontitis and gum diseases.
Prevention of dental caries, plaque and bad
breath (halitosis) .
Helps in the treatment of pharyngitis ,
tonsillitis and sore throat
Used as Prophylaxis in pre and post oral
and dental surgery.
34. • 120 ml
Apply 15 ml of undiluted cooly rinsing the mouth for
30 seconds and expelled from mouth after use 2-3