1. Portuguese Educacional System The Portuguese Educational System has always been a controversial issue strongly debated by the politicians responsible for it from the very beginning. A compulsory and free educational system is established in Portugal in 1901 and in 1911, "the Reformation of Elementary School" was set and the Ministry of Instruction was created, establishing a compulsory education for children between 7 and 12 years old. Nowadays the compulsory system lasts 9 years concerning 6 to 15 year-old-children. The main goal of the Portuguese education is to ensure an educational basis for everyone, seen as the beginning of an educating and personal process of formation throughout life.
3. EDUCATION IN PORTUGAL Pre-school(*) School Education Elementary school (Compulsory) Secundary School (not compulsory) College Primary school: from 1st to 4th grades Junior school 5th and 6th grades Secondary school From 7th to 9th grades 10th grade 11th grade 12th grade (a national exam is compulsory) Academic Teaching Polytecnique teaching Extra Education Alphabetizing updating Scientific and cultural updating Professional improvement (*) The Nursery – starts when children are 3 years old till they go to Primary School. Its attendance is not compulsory.
4. In Primary school, students are taught general issues by only one teacher who can, however been helped by another teacher in specific areas. There’s only one teacher who can be helped by another one in specific areas. In Junior school (year 5 and 6), education is formed by interdisciplinary basic formation areas which are, predominantly, only one teacher’s responsability. In Secondary school (years 7 to 9), education is organized according to a unified curriculum plan, integrating several vocational areas. In this process, there is one teacher for each subject.
5. CURRICULUM COMPONENTS The Ministry of Education has the responsibility to define the National Curriculum. In 2001 this Ministry published the Law 6/2001, about the Basic School Curriculum Reorganization which gave a major importance to three new non-subject new areas which are the “Project Area”, the “Accompanied Study” and the “Civic Formation”.
12. ESCOLA BÁSICA INTEGRADA MOUZINHO DA SILVEIRA Mouzinho da Silveira’s school is an integrated basic school where all the levels of education are present.
13. TEACHING AND NOT TEACHING STAFF Teaching Staff The school has at this moment, 12 teachers distributed in the following form: 1 Executive President (he does not have learning functions) 2 Vice - Presidents (they exert learning functions) 9 Teachers.
16. Total 35 Total 0 0 12th grade 0 11th grade 0 10th grade Secundary School (not compulsory) Total: 8 4 9th grade 4 8th grade 0 7th grade Secundary school (compulsory) Total : 7 3 6th grade 4 5th grade Junior School Total: 20 5 7 4 4 1st year 2nd year 3rd year 4th year Primary School Pupils