A dentifrice is a substance used with a toothbrush for the purpose of cleaning the teeth.
They help remove plaque, a film of bacteria that forms on teeth and gums every day.
Dentifrices are available in the form of pastes, gels or powders.
A dentifrice is a substance used with a toothbrush
for the purpose of cleaning the teeth.
• They help remove plaque, a film of bacteria
that forms on teeth and gums every day.
• Dentifrices are available in the form of pastes,
gels or powders.
• These are added to clean the teeth and to
• Commonly used abrasives are silica/hydrated
silica, hydrated aluminium oxides, calcium
carbonate, Alumina, brushite etc.
• Used in toothpaste to prevent loss of water and
subsequent hardening of the product upon
exposure to air.
• They provide a smooth creamy texture to the
Eg : Glycerin, sorbitol, propylene glycol and
• They act as surface-active substances and
decrease surface tension, thereby emulsify
and remove debris with their foaming action.
Eg : Sodium laurylsulfate, sodium lauryl
sarcoside, cocamido propyl betaine, sodium
methyl cocoyl taurate.
Thickening agent/binding agent:
• Used to stabilize dentifrice formulations by preventing
the separation of the solid and liquid phases.
Eg: Natural gums , synthetic celluloses (carboxymethyl
cellulose), xanthum gum, carrageenans and carbomer.
Flavouring & sweetening agent:
• Improve taste of toothpaste .
• Leave a pleasant taste after brushing
Artificial flavors: mint, peppermint, spearmint
Sweeteners : Sodium saccharine, acesulfame K,
aspartame, xylitol & sorbitol.
• Coloring agents provide dentifrice with pleasing
Eg: Titanium dioxide is used to make dentifrices
• Artificial dyes such as FD&C Blue No. 1 are used
to make red, green, and blue dentifrices.