LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
WHAT IS WATER POLLUTION?
• Water pollution is the contamination of water bodies (e.g. lakes, rivers,
oceans, aquifers and groundwater), very often by human activities.
• Water pollution occurs when pollutants (particles, chemicals or substances
that make water contaminated) are discharged directly or indirectly into
water bodies without enough treatment to get rid of harmful compounds.
Pollutants get into water mainly by human causes or factors.
• Water pollution is the second most imperative environmental concern
along with air pollution.
TYPES OF WATER POLLUTION
• There are many types of water pollution because water
comes from many sources. Here are some few types of
• Nutrients pollution, Surface water pollution, Oxygen
Depleting, Ground water pollution, Microbiological,
Suspended Matter, Chemical water pollution and Oil
CURRENT IMPACTS IN PARRAMATTA RIVER
• The Parramatta River catchment is one of the most highly urbanized
catchments in Australia. Whilst this means that lots of people get to
experience and enjoy the river, it also means that there are many
different issues that are impacting upon the health of the
• There are many different aspects of our day to day lives that have
an impact on the catchment. While each of us individually has a
small effect on the health of the river, these small impacts combine
throughout the whole catchment to significantly affect the health of
WHY HAS WATER POLLUTION BECOME A
PROBLEM IN PARRAMATTA RIVER?
• Because it's caused when as long as there has been water there’s
been a water pollution. Natural water pollution occurs when salt
water flows into fresh water, animals die in the water, river banks, or
volcanic gases mixed with water. Man-made water pollution has
existed as long as there have been people.
• Early settlements used water for sewage disposal, poisoned streams
to kill fish and drove cattle through streams. As our settlements and
farms grew bigger and we got more numerous water pollution
WHAT HAS WATER POLLUTION CAUSED IN
• This caused major concern due to many fishing stocks around the
Sydney Harbour area to be contaminated and inconsumable,
many people that ate the fish became sick because of this and
developed diseases and proved that Sydney Harbour was one of
the most contaminated areas in Australia destroying the fragile
wetlands that surround the area.
• Within the river, many wildlife exist, one example being the cod
towards the opening of the river. Birds also live around that area for
food and water.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO SOLVE THIS
• Put more bins in the area
• Stop littering
• Make a clean up day
• Fine people who constantly litters on peoples property or throw
rubbish in Parramatta river
• Set an example by not littering.
• Pick up one piece of litter every day.
• Every week, pick up all the litter in front of your house, including
TURBIDITY IN PARRAMATTA RIVER
• Turbidity is an optical characteristic or property of a liquid, which in
general terms describes the clarity, or haziness of the liquid.
• Turbidity is another issue for the Parramatta river system, as the river
enters the eastern section of the river, the Turbidity decreases.
• Most turbidity issues exist in the inner areas of the Parramatta river
where most of the factories are located.
• These issues not only happen in the Parramatta river system but
many more rivers also have the same issue, mostly within rivers which
have many factories.
ECOLOGICAL DIMENSIONS IN PARRAMATTA
• The Parramatta is a bustling area for animals to thrive in, and is also
a vast area in which people use to do water testing and
recreational activities. The river also meets with the Lane Cove river,
which is a very clean and pristine river.
• But unfortunately through many years, people have caused vast
amounts of damage to the Parramatta, it is so bad that private
organizations had to set up resources to keep the river clean.
• This problem is mostly due to the fact that there are surrounding
factories which leak toxic waste and chemicals into the once clean
and pristine Parramatta river.