LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
Pavan Kumar Giri
Presentation of Seminar on
Under the guidance of
Prof. Y. K. Mishra
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI)
• What is Artificial Intelligence
• History and Evolution of it
• How Artificial Intelligence is different from Human level intelligence
• Application of AI
• Advantages and Disadvantages of AI
What is artificial intelligence?
“the capacity to learn and solve problem.”
• Artificial Intelligence is to recreate the capabilities of human being in machines
• According to Searle’s AI hypothesis:
“ The appropriately programmed computer with the right inputs and outputs have
HOW A.I. IS DIFFERENT FROM NATURAL
• Non Creative
• Exact or Precise
• May contains Errors
• Non Consistent
• Can’t handle
HISTORY OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
• In 1956 the term “Artificial Intelligence” was coined by John
McCarthy at Dartmouth.
• Programmable Digital Computer (1940)
• The Golden Era 1956-1974
• Rise of Machine Learning (1986)
• AI as Science-
1.AI method is used in vision ,language , data mining etc.
2.Integration of learning ,reasoning and knowledge.
• DARPA Grand Challenge (2004-2013)
• It is a prize competition held for autonomous vehicle driving with AI
And is funded by DOD U.S.A.
Fig. DARPA racing 2008 
• Artificial intelligence researchers have developed several specialized
programming languages for artificial intelligence which include IPL, LISP,
STRIPS and PLANNER etc.
• It is an acronym for “List Processing”
• LISP source code is made of lists which can be processed .
• It is specifically made for programming AI units and making them
• Expression oriented language.
• This language is different from conventional languages of
programming i.e. C,C++,Java etc.
Evolution of Artificial Intelligence
-It is an acronym for
Advanced Step In Innovative Mobility
• Most advance humanoid robot.
• Developed by Honda.
• In 1986 Honda started developing walking robot
• Earlier model were E0-E6,P1,P2,P3
• On November 31, 2000 ASIMO was born.
Fig: ASIMO in a workshop 
About ASIMO And It’s Features
1.Height 160 cm
2.Weight 54 Kg
3.Walking speed 1 Mph
4.Powered by 51.8 V rechargeable Li-ion Battery
Fig: ASIMO physical dimensions
1. Compact and lightweight
2. User friendly design
3. More advance walking technology.
4. Easy to operate.
6. This humanoid robot can be operated with
wireless controller .
7. It has two control unit
a) Wireless Control Unit
b) Operation Control Unit
Technology behind ASIMO
• It has three type of sensor for accurate and precise movement
1.IR Sensor as Ground Sensor
• It uses intelligence walk (I-Walk) technology for precise movement
• It have two sensors in torso and a sensor in foot called six –axis foot
• It is primarily used for obstacle avoiding purpose
• It comprises of two sensors, Laser Sensor and Infrared sensor
• It is equipped with two high dynamic range cameras as “EYES”
• It correct its position without stopping with the help of these cameras
Fig. Sensors in ASIMO 
How It Function
• It establishes the shortest route from the origin to the destination.
• Diverts to an alternate route when it finds an obstacle.
• When it finds an obstacle on its alternate route it diverts to another
APPLICATION OF AI
Aviation and Automation:
• NASA’S Fight Research Centre
• Voice recognition in fighter jet
• Air Traffic Controller
• Automated gearing system in car
• NASA’S Curiosity Rover
• In medical field , space exploration and deep ocean mining
• Assembling robots
• Robot navigation
1. Robots may be used to perform tasks that are too dangerous or
difficult for humans to do directly.
2. The AI can be used for military purpose to minimise the loss of life.
3. It is more precise than any other means to do task.
4. In medical field to do delicate surgery.
• Limited ability
• Slow time real response
• High cost
• Cannot handle difficult situation
• Difficult to code
• Artificial intelligence is an emerging and most advance field and very important. It
has provided mankind a powerful tool
• With efficient and intelligent use and deployment of Artificial intelligence we can
achieve a better world
• But as the every coin has two sides so AI has darker sides also
• They may become so advanced that they can replace human and this is the greatest
threat to mankind
1. Artificial Intelligence A Modern Approach by Stuart J. Russell and Peter Norvig Prentice Hall 1995
2. The Era of Cognitive Systems by J.K. Stuart Tata McGrawhill 1984
3. Deep Parsing in Watson by J.K. MCcarthy PHI 1989
4. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience by Mark D' Esposito MIT Press 1989
5. Consciousness Studies by Valerie Gray Hardcastle Oxford 1994
6. Cognitive systems and Brain Mapping by John C. Maziotta Elsevier Science