Non Renewable Energy
• Non renewable energy cannot be generated again and again,
e.g. energy generated from combustion of fossil fuels, energy
from coal and gas etc.
• Renewable energy can be generated continuously pratically
without decay of source. E.g.-
• Solar Energy
• Wind Energy
• Geothermal Energy
• Hydro Energy
• Solar Energy can be converted into electrical energy by suing
solar panels, or alternatively, be used as thermal energy using
solar water heaters, solar cookers etc.
• India is world’s third largest producer of electricity generation
using wind power by wind mills.
• Using dams, water is allowed to pass through turbine blades,
which produces electricity. In India, after coal, most of the
energy is produced by this method.
• Biomass energy made from wood, wood waste, straw,
manure, sugar cane, garbage, and agricultural waste. Biomass
is organic material which has stored sunlight in the form of
• The energy contained in ocean waves can potentially provide
an unlimited source of renewable energy. Ocean waves are
created by the interaction of wind with the surface of the sea.
Sea-Gen tidal turbine, installed in Strangford
Lough, County Down, Northern Ireland, (image
courtesy of Marine Current Turbines (MCT))
• Energy can neither be generated nor it can be destroyed. It
can only be converted from one form to another.
• For example, in a room heater, electrical energy is converted
to the thermal energy.
• Turbine converts mechanical energy stored in steam to
Why to Conserve ?
• We have limited fuels available on earth.
• Our demand for energy is increasing day-by-day.
• It is possible that someday, most of fuels will be exhausted,
and we will have to switch over to alternate energy.
• At present consumption levels-
• Crude oil will last only for 40 years.
• Gas will last for 60 years.
• Coal will be finished in nearly 200 years.
• Even though of life without oil and gas?
• Watching interesting program on TV is interesting, but
afterwards, TV should be switched off.
• While going to purchase new products, e.g. refrigerator,
geysers, CFL etc., we should insist upon purchasing a five star
product rather than cheap and energy waster product.
• Remember to replace light bulbs with CFLs so electricity could
be available for more time.
• You can also ask your parents for a chocolate or some other
gift after reducing your electricity bill.
What Else can be Done ?
• We should discuss energy conservation with our friends and
tell others how can we reduce energy consumption.
Govt. Inter College BHEL Hardwar
Email Add. firstname.lastname@example.org