In this session we will look at the different types of block patterns that can be created, the various ways that block patterns can be registered for a theme, and then create a few block pattern examples for some common theme requirements.
As you join, please get
your local WordPress
Install and activate the Create Block Theme plugin
Then, let everyone know in the chat where you’re
joining us from…
○ My name is Jonathan
○ I am from Cape Town, South Africa
○ Ex-developer turned code instructor
○ Sponsored contributor at Automattic
○ Welcome, and thank you to Kathryn for co-hosting today!
○ We’ll be presenting in focus mode.
○ You are welcome to ask questions.
○ You are welcome to unmute to ask questions, or post them in the chat.
○ Let’s get your local install ready:
○ If I am going too fast, please let me know!
○ We will be posting this session to https://wordpress.tv/ afterwards
○ For more WordPress focused content please visit https://learn.wordpress.org/
○ What are Block Patterns
○ Comparing Patterns to Template Parts
○ An overview of the Block Pattern Directory
○ How to create block patterns in PHP
○ How to create block patterns using the patterns directory of your theme
○ How to use patterns for custom functionality
1. Create and use a simple button pattern
2. Create and use a custom header pattern
3. Register and use a pattern category
4. Create a cover pattern, with an image that is part of the theme