Mail Merge is an advanced feature of Word. This feature allows you to send a
common document to different recipients. Generally Mail merge is used to print
envelopes, labels, lists, catalogues, letters, etc.
• Main Document
This document contains the text format that is merged with the data source.
• Data Source Document
This document contains the information that needs to be attached to the
main document such as name, address, phone number.
3. Step 2
Select Use the current document.
Select Next: Select recipients to move to Step 3
Mail Merge Step 2
Now, you need an address list .The list can be in an
existing file, such as an Excel workbook, or you can
type a new address list using the Mail Merge Wizard.
1. From the Mail Merge task pane select a new list, and
then select create…. A New Address list is opened.
4. New Address List
2. This dialog box offers a list of commonly used field (column headings such as Title,
First Name, Last Name, Company Name……..etc) names. Type recipient information in
the table. The unwanted fields can be deleted and you can add extra field names to the
list. To delete a field name, select and click on the Remove Field Name button.
5. 4. In the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, you can check or uncheck each recipient to
control which ones are to be used in the merge.
3. After entering the information, Select Ok and save the file, A dialog box
6. 5. After selecting, select OK to close the dialog box and move to step 4.
In step 3, if you select the use an existing document option,
1. In the Mail Merge, click Browse.
Select Data Source
2. Select name, address from file or a database and then select Open.
3. selectNext: Write your e-mail messages to move to Step 4
7. Step 4:
Now, you are ready to write e-mail messages. When it's printed,
each copy of the letter will basically be the same, except the
recipient data—such as the name and address—will be
To insert the recipient data:
1. Place the insertion point in the document
2. Select Address block, Greeting line,
Electronic postage or more items from the task pane.
3. Depending on your selection, a dialog box may
appear with various options. Select the desired
option then, click OK. Mail Merge Step 4
10. 4. A placeholder appears in your document as shown below.
from mailings toolbox also you can insert
Insert Merge Field
5. Use the enter key to move the cursor to the next line and repeat step4, to insert the
rest of the fields from the data source.
6. In the Mail Merge task pane, click Next Preview your e-mail messages to
move to Step 5.
11. Step 5:
1. Preview the letters to make sure information from
the recipient list appears correctly in the
letter. You can use the left and right scroll
arrows to view each document.
Mail Merge Step 5
2. Select Next: Complete the merge to move to Step 6.
12. Step 6:
1. Mail merge is ready to produce the e-mail messages.
2. If you click previous you can preview your
3. Select the Electronic Mail you get a dialog box.
Mail Merge Step6
4. Add Subject Line, you can select mail format as an
Attachment, Plain text, HTML from dropdown box.
5. In Send records you can select All records, Current
record and From number to To number of records
Merge to E-mail
13. 6. Select Ok to send the e-mail messages.
Use the following shortcut keys in Mail Merge procedure.
Function Shortcut Keys
Preview a mail merge ALT+SHIFT+K
Merge a document ALT+SHIFT+N
Print the merged document ALT+SHIFT+M
Edit a mail-merge data
Insert a merge field ALT+SHIFT+F