MARPOL EXCELLENCE TRAINING
A one day course aimed at all senior ship officers; all company managers, DPAs,
superintendents, auditors and all those who inspect ships.
One Day: MARPOL EXCELLENCE
Objective: To make sure all those who manage and inspect ships:
• Know the many MARPOL requirements and the January 2011 changes to the Oil Record
• Can identify common, and not-so-common mistakes.
• Reduce the risk of deficiencies, detentions, fines or other enforcement sanctions.
• Protect themselves and the company on every ship visit.
• Achieve 100% MARPOL compliance, 100% of the time.
Content: The Oil Record Book/ Oily Water Separator/ Garbage Record Book/ Bunker
A major P and I club states:
• “The single most frequent Port State Control detention deficiency is the result of anomalies
with the Oil Record Book or Oily Water Separator”.
• “Clubs do not cover pollution fines”.
• “Prosecuting authorities have identified the absence of a systematic approach to identifying
and managing compliance with environmental requirements as a common failure”.
The ICS/ISF MARPOL Best Practice Guidance 2010 states “Shipping companies should:
• Conduct internal and external audits on environmental compliance and act upon the
• Provide meaningful and targeted training in environmental awareness and MARPOL
• Provide specific and targeted training in Oily Water Separator (OWS) operation.
• Verify compliance through appropriate physical inspection, operational tests and document
Changes to MARPOL; new IMO Circular and the Oil Record Book are effective 1 January
If a Foreign Flag vessel enters US waters with a erroneous Oil Record Book it commits a
Federal Offence, even if the entries were made outside US waters. The Ship-owner and/or
operator are vicariously liable for the acts of its employees.
Evidence of an effective Environmental Compliance Plan is available as a defence for the
Time Topic Covering
0830 - 1015 Requirements, background and current status. ISM Code, MARPOL + IOPP cert .
Flag requirements and Notices.
USCG MARPOL Annex 1 Enforcement
ICS/ISF Best Practice.
Additional Coastal State or Flag State IMO Circulars.
requirements. USA, Alaska, California, Caribbean, UK, other
areas or Flags.
1015 - 1045 Break
1045 - 1200 Oil Record Book workshop – working in groups Objective - 100% compliance, 100% of the time.
completing ORB entries for a wide range of Common mistakes.
situations. Procedural clarity.
Documentation, PMS and spares.
Training, checking and auditing.
The importance of cross referencing between ORB
entries and IOPP certificates.
1200 - 1245 Lunch
1245 - 1430 Oily Water Separator workshop covering: Why 15 ppm?
Separator, Oil Content Monitor, alarm, stopping Fundamentals of all OWS.
device, 3 way valve. Variations on above.
Type Certification requirements for OWS parts .
Includes a model OWS showing all Bilge system approval.
component parts. Manufacturer’s instructions.
Legal and illegal remedies.
Training and familiarisation.
Maintenance and spares.
How to inspect and test.
1430 - 1445 Break
1445 - 1530 Garbage Record Book. Requirements and common mistakes
1530 - 1630 Bunker and emission requirements and records. Annex VI requirements.
Low sulphur. NOX. Bunker notes. Diesel Bug.
Date Country City
March USA • Fort Lauderdale
Aprilst UK • Southampton
April UK • London
Certificate of training is issued.
Course length and content can be customised to suit any customer requirements, including company specific equipment or procedure.
Additional dates are being added to the course. For further information please contact regs4ships.
Fletchwood House, Quayside Road, Bitterne Manor, Southampton, UK, SO18 1DP
T: +44 (0)23 8098 8631 l F: +44 (0)23 8022 8029 l E: firstname.lastname@example.org l www.regs4ships.com
Credentials of the Company and the trainers
Regs4ships is a centre of excellence able to professionally and cost-effectively support the maritime industry across a wide range of data
products and consultancy services.
We have 5 Master Mariners, 2 Chartered Marine Engineers, 16 First Degrees, 2 Masters degrees, 2 PhDs, 260 years of practical maritime
experience, including 60 years of Flag State experience.
We are ISO 9001 and 14001 Certified by DNV for our Quality and Environmental Management Systems and have a DoC for the ISM
Management of vessels.
The core activity is the supply of digital maritime regulations to hundreds of customers, some with specialised document management
applications. Additionally, we provide many consultancy services such as training, audits, inspections, risk assessments, port assessments,
new build and project management.
The creators and trainers of this course are experts. The course reflects their combined knowledge and experience of many years at sea and
as Port State Control Inspectors, auditors, investigators and trainers.
Brief details are:
Captain Mick Caulkin; BSc (Hons), Master Mariner, MNI; Training Director, regs4ships Ltd
• 15 years at sea to Master, on all ship types, followed by 8 years in industry in commercial and operational managerial roles and then 6
years as an MCA Surveyor; Examiner, ISM, SMC and DOC auditor, Port State Control Inspector.
• Took part, or led about 200 investigations into marine incidents as part of MCA Enforcement team, including the first successful UK
prosecution using the 15ppm IMO Circular and photographic evidence obtained from the air.
• Contracted to Warsash Maritime Academy to develop and deliver training covering ISM Internal Auditor and ISM + ISO Lead Auditor, ISPS
and the new Designated Person Ashore course.
Nick Gladwell. C.Eng, EUR Ing, B.Sc. (Hons), FIMarEST, MEI; Consultancy Director, regs4ships Ltd
• Seagoing Chief Engineer to Superintendent of a fleet of Chemical tankers, then Superintendent for a Ferry and Tug operator; followed by 9
years as Surveyor for the MCA and then Chief Surveyor and Director at Cayman Islands Shipping Registry.
• At the MCA, Nick was Manager in charge of the Falmouth MCA office and the UK MCA expert in Dangerous Goods and MARPOL. He sat
on several IMO subcommittees and is a qualified Lead Auditor and has conducted numerous ISM, ISPS, ISO and Flag State audits.
• Nick assists Mick in delivering the growing training portfolio.
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.