2. A race car starting from rest accelerates at a constant rate of 5.00 m/s2. What is the velocity
of the car after it has traveled 30.5 m?
3. A stone is dropped into a deep well and is heard to hit the water 3.41 s after being dropped.
Determine the depth of the well.
4. A brick is thrown upward from the top of a building at an angle of 25º with an initial
velocity of 15m/s. If the brick is in flight for 3.0 s, how tall is the building?
5. An artillery shell is fired with an initial velocity of 300 m/s at 55.0º above the horizontal.
To clear an avalanche, it explodes on a mountainside 42.0 s after firing. What are the 𝑥𝑥 −
and 𝑦𝑦 − coordinates of the shell where is explodes, relative to its firing point?
6. In a time interval of 5 minutes, a runner runs once around a one-mile track. What is his
average velocity? What is his average speed?
7. A small map shows Atlanta to be 730 miles in a direction 5º north of east from Dallas. The
same map shows that Chicago is 560 miles in a direction 21º west of north from Atlanta.
Find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago.
8. With what speed must an object be thrown to reach a maximum height of 91.5 m?
Assume negligible air resistance.
9. Extra Problems – Chapters 1-3
While standing at the edge of the roof of a building, you throw a stone upward with an
initial speed of 6.47 m/s. The stone subsequently falls to the ground, which is 18.1 m below
the point where the stone leaves your hand. At what speed does the stone impact the
ground? How much time is the stone in the air? Ignore air resistance and take g = 9.81 m/s2.
(This is NOT a suggestion to carry out such an experiment!)
10. Extra Problems – Chapters 1-3
A projectile is launched from ground level with an initial speed of 41.5 m/s at an angle of
32.5° above the horizontal. It strikes a target in the air 1.86 seconds later. What are the
horizontal and vertical distances from where the projectile was launched to where it hits the