8. VERBAL COMMUNICATION
2. on the phone
language is not seen)
1. face to face
(interaction, gestures, facial
9. VERBAL COMMUNICATION
2. Informal letters, text
messages, emails, chat
(less complicated, less
smiles, chat – immediate
1. formal letters, texts,
(more complicated, more
formal, requires planning
and more time, structured,
precise choice of words, can
be reread, stored,
15. Teachers communicating for the first time
Is this tone appropriate ?
1. Good Day , dear Sam
Hope you are fit as a fiddle as well as
with incessant smiles ! Thanks aplenty
2. HI, SWEET teacher, how are you doing ?
16. Messages from students to Teachers
1. my dad came back from holiday on Saturday so I need to see
him and I thought it was Tuesday but when I just looked at my
phone it is Thursday ! You must think I am really dozy !!!!
2. OMG ! I literally just woke up 20 minutes ago and it takes me
30 mins to get ready and another 15 to walk in to uni so shall
we just give it a miss this week ???
I am sorry but I don’t think I will be able to make it to this
mornings lecture as my car has seized up. I am going to sit and
play with it.
Were they appropriate ????
18. ONLINE GAMES & OTHER AUDIO/VIDEO TOOLS
• Accomplishes the task • Includes details • Connects ideas to
• Exhibits a logical and coherent sequence • Has a beginning, middle,
and end • Makes smooth transitions
Vocabulary • Includes a variety of vocabulary • Uses relevant and
Structure (degree to which errors hinder overall comprehensibility) •
Subject-verb agreement • Present, past, future ideas expressed as
appropriate • Noun-adjective agreement • Correct word order •
Word Count • Comprehensible • In target language