Michael Poulin, M.B.A., C.P.M.
3509 Cedar Grove Circle
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
Home (757) 431-8009
Associate Vice President of Purchasing
High energy professional with Master of Business Administration and over thirty years of successful experience
leading and managing personnel in both manufacturing and service industries. Proven record of implementing
programs to improve both productivity and profits. A team player with strong communication skills known for
• Strategic Planning • Multi-Task Management • Budget Development
• Cost/Financial Controls • Contract Lifecycle Management • Strategic Sourcing
• Computer Proficiency • Inventory/Logistics • Operations/Maintenance
Anthem Inc., Virginia Beach, VA, via acquisition of Amerigroup (2013-present)
Director of IT Strategic Sourcing
• Analyzed vendor spend data from Anthem and Amerigroup to create a tracking grid to identify common
suppliers and focus on quick-win savings opportunities.
• Developed and managed a new I/T staffing contract to reduce onboarding time and provide savings of
• Established new contract for a large payment system renewal to provide streamlined and predictable
methodology for annual true-up, and as part of process identified savings opportunity of $515,000.
• Provided leadership to former Amerigroup I/T team regarding new processes for sourcing via road-shows to
CIO and his direct report’s staff meetings.
Amerigroup Corporation, Virginia Beach, VA (2002-2012)
Associate Vice President of Procurement (2008-2012)
Director of Fleet & Food Services (2005-2008)
Director of Procurement (2002-2005)
• Lead selection and implementation of outsourced provider for mail-room operations and print services resulting
in savings of over $5,000,000 /year.
• Initiated program for Procurement participation in non-traditional spend areas including nurse triage (help line),
claims processing, member ID cards, and provider reimbursements resulting in savings of over $2,500,000/year.
• Coordinated spend analysis of large NY Health Plan acquisition and identified over $8,500,000 in cost savings
through reduction, consolidation, and renegotiation of contracts.
Michael Poulin, Page 2
• Implemented new alignment for Procurement with expanded responsibilities, including contract management,
transaction services, and strategic sourcing as part of its charter. Implemented an automated contract
management system for creation, approval, and repository of executed contracts.
• Established company’s vehicle fleet management program and established goals and guidelines for risk
management as well as defined processes for fuel and maintenance management. Company’s costs for accidents
and associated workman’s compensation claims were reduced by over 50% during the 3 years after introduction
of the fleet program.
• Directed food service provider for cafeteria operations for both initial service at Support Center 1 (2004) and for
expansions required to accommodate the opening of Support Center 2 (2006). Worked closely with Aramark to
reduce monthly subsidy by over 60% from first year levels while maintaining a high level of customer
Dominion Resources, Norfolk, VA (1998 – 2001)
• Responsible for activity of 3 buyers and over $20,000,000 in gas supply materials and service purchases
• Participated as Virginia Natural Gas lead on cross-functional team to develop, evaluate, and implement
integrated supply initiative, resulting in over $2,000,000 system-wide savings.
• Developed proposal and served as lead Purchasing Representative on team for meter repair outsourcing,
resulting in $500,000 annual enterprise savings.
• Coordinated implementation of Oracle Purchasing at Virginia Natural Gas, with recognition for efficient start-
up and appointment as purchasing interface with programmers for process improvements.
• Served as Purchasing Representative on cross-functional team to develop and evaluate two-year construction
contracts resulting in $325,000 per year annual savings to Virginia Natural Gas.
Technical Products Corporation, Portsmouth, VA (1985 - 1998)
Business Services Manager /Operations Manager
• Established operating procedures for 7 manufacturing facilities nationwide, with responsibility for company
decisions on purchasing, inventory, transportation, accounts receivables and payables.
• Developed and implemented strategy to use new manufacturing site to combat the competition’s price advantage.
New facility now producing over $185,000 annually in additional sales revenue.
• Identified international sources for raw materials at lower cost than domestic suppliers, saving more than
$360,000 over a 4-year period.
• Pioneered alliance with key supplier which stabilized prices of raw material resulting in award of major account
with annual sales revenues of $1,000,00
Michael Poulin, Page 3
Virginia Chemicals, Inc., Portsmouth VA (1980 - 1985)
• Responsible for utilization of outside warehouses including rate negotiation, inspection, and compliance with
hazardous materials safety standards.
• Interfaced between manufacturing and management to provide production planning and inventory control for
three product lines. Scheduled deliveries of imported products in both bulk and container quantities for resale.
Master of Business Administration (emphasis in Finance),
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA (1987)
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Operations/Production Planning),
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA (1979)
Certified Purchasing Manager, Institute of Supply Management, 2001
Oracle, Ariba, PeopleSoft, Macola, Word,
Excel, Access Database Manager, and other Windows-based applications